Today is National Banana Bread Day!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

To celebrate, I'll be making my all-time favorite recipe:

Sour Cream Banana Nut Bread
1 stick butter (or margarine) softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream (you can substitute plain or vanilla yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (black walnuts are my personal fave for this recipe)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and soda until creamy. Add flour gradually, mixing well after each addition. Fold in bananas and nuts. Pour into greased 5" x 9" loaf pan. Bake 45 to one hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (You may need to cover the top during the last 15-20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.)

This is by far the BEST banana bread recipe I've ever tried, consistently producing moist loaves with a deliciously crisp crust.. The black walnuts were always added to my grandma's banana bread, and I think they are a perfect flavor complement to bananas. But they're not for everyone - you can leave out the nuts, or use plain English walnuts if preferred.

IMHO, this bread is even better the next day if you cover it with a tea towel overnight ;o)

Anyone else have a favorite banana bread recipe to share?

This thread has 148 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!