copyright mark for images from websites

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been given permission from Cooley's Iris Garden to enter pictures from their website into the plant files. Is there a way that I can put their name on the photo as the copyright owner when I enter them? If not, what is the best way to give them credit for the photos?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

You can alwasy add their name to the pic using a simple photo editing tool....most come with a 'text' option.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Doss, when you upload an image to PlantFiles, you can check or uncheck the box that appears next to the copyright disclaimer (which you should read carefully.) In this case you'll want to uncheck it so your personal watermark will not appear on the image. You can then use the caption to give credit to them for allowing you to post their image.

It's an optional step, but you can do as Rikerbear has suggested and add a watermark to the image. (That's a little dicey though since it's not your image to alter, even though your intent is to help protect it and give proper credit.) I'd ask Cooley's if they want to have a watermark on the image before I did that.

Generally speaking, all images and text that appear on the internet are considered intellectual property, subject to copyright laws. So even images without a watermark, or text that does not include any stipulations or warnings cannot be copied for any other use without prior permission from the website and/or writer/photographer.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Terry. They didn't ask for a copyright on the picture, just credit, so I'll take my name off the photo and give them credit on the description.

That's a good point about not changing the photo.

And thanks too Rikerbear. You're always so helpful.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Your welcome :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images