Newbie flowering vine question

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Hi! I have such a hard time with the sequence of things that bloom. Do sweet peas, morning glories and moonflower all start blooming the same time and keep blooming frost? If all were started about the same time? In general. Thanks!!

Morning glory tends to flower mid-summer to fall if planted under "normal" conditions as a seed in the warmth of spring. It will flower earlier if you play with the photoperiod of a transplant before you put it out in the spring. Most folks plant the seed and wait.

I don't have direct experience with sweetpeas or moonflowers. I'm sure someone else will chime in (hope, hope).

Joseph

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Sweetpeas are cool-weather annuals and bloom here in the spring before the really hot weather starts. They usually don't do well in heat, but they are making hybrids these days which are more heat-tolerant.

Ipomoea alba, Moonflower vine, is a perennial in my zone, but most people grow them as annuals. They start to flower in July and continue through the fall here in Zone 10. If they are started from seed in the spring, they may not flower until August or even September. Annuals, in general, are fast-growing and fast-blooming and die after they have finished their cycle or when frost hits, whatever comes sooner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.