Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Three Amegos

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Picture of Picture Taker

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Iris Bob, as my daughter refers to me giving directions. Black Locust in background

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Music in the garden

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Iris Bob logging in new seedlings

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

2002 Seedling patch (F bed) and Iris behind

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Happenstance by Keith Keppel

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

And lastly our modern facilities

Thumbnail by iris4u2
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the photos! It will be fun to have you here. We always need people who know a lot and can teach us something. And someone who has modern facilities.:-) The pink bows on the Keppel "Happenstance" were a nice touch. Seems like gilding the lily - or the Iris. Are they hybridizing markers?

Your poppies are fabulous. They look more like Peonys. So big and so tall. Must have stems of Iron. Can you tell us your Peony's cultivar names? Of course it's really too warm here for either Peonys or Poppys but I know that we'll all want to know.

Also, I'd love to see your growing zone. If you go to "my info" at the top of the page, there is a place to put it.

Geat house. I love the veranda. And fields of Iris aren't bad either. (LOL). We'll look forward to you hanging out here.

Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

doss, The pink ribbons on Happenstance are to keep my wife from dead heading. I have placed a cross on the flower and the ribbon tells her to leave it alone. You see the same ribbons on the pictures with the seed pods formed. There is also a white tags with the cross written on it.

The salmon pink poppies are the cultivar Oriental Helen Elizabeth. No Peonys yet.

I believe we are considered Zone 5, although those mountains to the west can play tricks on us. Somethimes we can feel like its zone 7 or 8 and blink and its zone 3. May 18, 2001 the temp on that Sunday afternoon was 80 degrees at 4:00 PM by 4:45 it was 28. Everything in the garden froze. Only color that year where the very late varieties.

Bob in Denver
Iris4u2

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, you have Rocky Mountain weather in the Rocky Mountains. How could I have forgotten. What a tragedy to lose so many flowers. Here of course, May 18th is very late. We are at least a month ahead of the east. I always have to remember that when I plan.

Thanks for the Poppy cultivar name.

I figured that the ribbons were hybridizing markers of some kind. But what a lovely way to do it. Easy to see and fun.

It would work great on daylilies too. My Granddaughter thinks deadheading daylilys is the best. I love to watch her doing it.

Box Springs, GA

Your garden and house are beautiful!Thanks for posting the pictures!

Chelsea

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Bob, glad to see you here! :-) Those are some nice PICS you posted. It'll be spring before we nkow it, and we'll be busy each in our own gardens ~ crossing all those irises we have! And seeing all the new seedlings bloom for the first time! I can't wait for that thrill!

~Margie

Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the nice comments Chelsea. Margie - Hi, already busy getting the garden ready. Have gotten all the dead Iris leaves cleaned off and left over leaves blown out of the beds. Have gone through and weeded the early weeds and laid down some mulch where needed. Thought I was going to make it to Tucsons Spring Trek but will be traveling a little later in the month so will be taking in Region 14's Garden Tour.

Bob in Denver

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

welcome to Dave's and boy that is some neat iris you have and the poppies and peony's wow . waiting for this years pic. stay with us we are fun and nice people well except for me I'm bad ?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Tazzy, what are you thinking? You're great! Bob, she's the best. You'd think that she was fishing for compliments, or just humble. Love ya Tazz.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh I don't know, doss. I think you better watch out for Tazzy....she's a naughty one!! LOL!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow wow wow thats a great iris garden

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

What are the coral-red double poppies in the first poppy picture? Not perennial P. orientalis, I think.

I love"Helen Elizabeth" and ordered it from WFF rather than settle for another, less expensive pink poppy. But I'm curious -- has anyone tried the new series named after New York City boroughs?

The iris are gorgeous. I especially liked the three friends.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love poppies with iris! I love Helen Elizabeth and Princess Victoria Louise. Here's great poppy, too. Prolly look great with those perfectly groomed iris beds, since it behaved itself extremely well (nice clump) and bloomed for a very long time. Although the name is 'Pink Ruffles' it's a warmer pink. Dawnsharon, do you have a link about the boroughs poppy?

Thumbnail by boojum
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

The Poppies in the second picture I believe is the one associated with Armistice Day or Veterans Day back in the 50's and 60's maybe the 70's that you would wear on your lapel. Maybe they still sell them now but I have not noticed them. It is a none mounding none clumping single plant, maybe the preoriental that we are familiar with today. I believe Monet has a painting with a field of them.

Bob in Denver

Some people call them corn poppies here.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Bob, and thanks for sharing pictures of your home and garden! I am just getting to know iris and can't wait to see the ones I have come up this year!
Happy Gardening!
Terrie

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Bob, your garden is wonderful. It's so nicely kept! Iris and poppies are two of my most favorite flowers... Are you organic? I currently have a problem with Iris Bore and I'm moving to correct the problem before it goes through all my iris.... What do you use? I'm not necessarily organic, mostly organic because I forget to get the chemicals on at the right time and so just don't use them often.... What do you use mostly for weeding? Those pink iris are to die for!!!

Diann

Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Ticker, You ask if I'm organic, no I'm Dutch. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. The Iris Borer is not a problem yet in Colorado. Maybe its the lack of humidity that keeps them from moving west of Nebraska. I do encourage Lady Bugs and Praying Mantis but I will spay if I feel there is an infestation of aphids. I may have to since February has been so dry in Denver. Manuel weeding which also breaks up the ground. The old fashion way. Bind weed is my biggest headache. Colorado State University supposedly has developed a mite which feeds on the weed. I had order some last year but never received any. Thank you for the nice comments on the garden. Attached is a picture of my sentry looking for insects.

Bob in Denver

Thumbnail by iris4u2

Ha! Funny. Wonder what Organic Dutch people look like. Anyway, I'm curious what you use on aphids. I sprayed some aphid houseplant stuff on my glory bush cause it had aphids when I brought it inside for the winter and it lost all it's leaves, put out some leggy growth, and proceeded to get the aphids on those. Grrrr.

Love your sentry. Always has been one of my fav bugs. I spent a lot of time playing with them as a kid. BTW the little dots in their big eyes will follow your movements. I'd love to have the time required to discover that once again! (A bit of nostalgia for the slower way of life of my youth).

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Iris4U, ah yes, Bindweed. I know it well. We are at war with each other here. It's won a few battles, but I think I might just finally have it out flanked. However, it doesn have a garden outside the back door under siege and is holding 4 peony, 20 some daylily, several surprise lilies aka naked ladys, and some volunteer siberian irs hostage (Cesar's Brother's Cousin). We are attempting a rescue this spring, and then I'm afraid I'm going to resort to chemical warfare. Yes, it's true, I'm going to toast the whole bed with Round-up and then smother it out with concrete two feet deep.

Ok, actually, I do plan on digging every thing out of that bed, and I have been doing that for the past two years. I do make progress each year, but really need to kick it into gear. Once I do get everything dug out, then yes, we will spray it with round-up and then in 3 weeks spray it again and in 3 weeks spray it again. Somewhere down the line we plan on taking out the sidewalk from the back door and adding some tile to divert water out of my basement and then putting in a patio where the bindweed bed once was. I ought to be ready for the retirement home by the time we get that done. Never again will I see a morning glory flower and think, "Oh, how pretty, it's naturalized." Keep me posted on the mites...

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Ticker--You're so ambitious that I can see your cloud of dust clear over her in cedar rapids! you go , Girl!

Just curious: if you toast the bed with Round Up, do you remember the marshmellows? Getting late, getting stupid.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, have you been sniffing round-up again??? Besides, I ate the marshmellows the other night while reading this post.... :) You know, you could always come help me dig those daylilys..... :) I think i'm going to burn that bed off this weekend... with fire, not round-up this time. Note: remove tags from plants before burning off bed.... (learned this the hard way, too.)

Diann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.