Hellebore (Helleborus torquatus)

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Hellebore
Helleborus torquatus

Made by John Benoot Jan. 2005 Belgium

Thumbnail by John_Benoot
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow! Very nice. I just started planting Hellebores recently. Only a few have bloomed. Nothing as awesome as yours, but something to strive for. Sheryl

Good luck with them Sheryl, I promised myself that i wouldn't buy hellebores this years, but i couldn't resist. But it stopped at two plants for this year :)

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous!
I have a heronswood purple that looks like that one, but not near as dark. Same color, but yours is MUCH deeper...almost black.
Very nice...
I just love hellebores...they bloom when nothing else is...I think they like to steal the show, and be the only ones on stage! lol...
-T

_T
I don't know if yours a torquatos, they can be different in color. I got three plants and two from three looks like this.

Thumbnail by John_Benoot

OOooo, I like that one, too!
Very nice!
Save the seeds, please! :)
I'd love to trade hellebore seeds.
I have some orientalis that are white edged in pink, the purple, and a double rose pink.
Let me know when yours set seed, if you want to trade...
Gorgeous!
-T

ok 'll let you know when they got seed.

Great!!
Thanks!
-T

John-
Got them today! I am so excited. I've been a little bummed about winter coming, and tonight marks the end of daylight savings time.

This came at a great time, and has certainly cheered me up! I look forward to sowing these, and hopefully having blooms as nice as yours.
Thank you so much for sharing. ;0)
-Taylor

Taylor
Have good luck with them and i'm sure you will have nice seedling out of them.
Your welcome.
I hope to see pictures of them one day :)
John

Yes, I hope to have pictures to show you, too.
I've already sown them. Seems this is a great time to germinate them as they need a little warm period, then cold.

The information I read said start in September. It is a little late, but I think they'll be fine.

I even put a metal mesh covering over them, so the squirrels don't dig them up with their nut digging this time of year.

Hopefully, they'll pop up around Christmas.

You've got some gorgeous ones, and great colors. Sure hope these seedlings follow suit!

Thank you, again! That was very sweet of you!

I even saved your stamp! , lol...I have a little scrap book I keep of stamps (from seed swaps and such), from abroad...

Belgium was definitely a first for my little scrapbook, lol...
-T

If i knew you collected stamps i would have done some more in the envelop. ;-)
I think they will be fine too, if this year wasn't that hectic i should have sent them sooner. The seeds that i got left or still in the fridge, i'm sure they will be ok when i plant them the coming weeks.
Happy planting and great expectations i should say!

I'll post on their progress.
Thanks, again!
-Taylor

Yipee!...Yipee!...Yipee!!!!

Guess what??!!

Thanks to your fabulous generosity, and incredible timing, the seeds you sent were sown the next day after I received them (mid December, I think), and they are coming up!!!

I have been checking them weekly, and sometimes daily, and yesterday I actually noticed lots of little green arches! The cotyledons have not popped up, yet, but I expect them to, in the next few days.

More of the "mixed" ones have sprouted than the torquatos, but plenty of the torquatos are popping up, also!

THANK YOU!, thank you, thank you!
I am SO excited!!
;0)
-T

PS-
OOps...just read back through the thread...looks like you actually sent them late oct, (not dec), ...sorry, my memory is scanty, and unreliable, lol...

Seems late oct. was perfect timing!
Thanks, again!
-T

Thanks for letting me know. I'm really happy for you.
When they ever bloom, i wanna see pics ;-)
John

Of course I'll post pics!

I'm half tempted to post some of even just the little sprouts!, lol...
-T

LOL, ok i will look forward on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.