Upper elevation (cool loving) orchids

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

This is Artorima erubescens on a fern pole. It is my first try with this cool-loving species orchid from upper elevations. I placed it next to my backdraft vent so it would stay cool. I am really hoping for a bloom after this growth flush. Anyone else with experience with this species? Could sure use some tips.

Thumbnail by drdon
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Looks really interesting. I am staying away from cooler growers so I don't have any tips. Have you seen this page? http://orchidspecies.com/artorimaerubensis.htm

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Will it get enough humidity and coolness?

It might be easier to grow near an air conditioning vent. But... then you'll have dryness.

Well, good luck! Don't forget to send us a pic of the blooms!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm not familiar with that one but many of my orchids are cool growers, primarily Odontoglossum types. All I can say is that many cool-growing orchids may start to suffer if the temp rises above 80 F. They prefer a max of 70-75, and can take down to 50 F in winter.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for all of your insights. I am also trying Encyclia vitellina, which is an orange flowering species from around 2800 meters. It is my intent to build a homemade swamp cooler box that will activate when my backdraft vent opens at 64F. I am very concerned about heat intolerance for summer in that our climate regularly has entire months (Jul-Sept) where weeks of 100F+ weather can be common. I do have a humidistat and a misting system overhead to keep the air moist and to assist with some evaporative cooling. Does anyone here have any experience building swamp coolers?

Once again, Thanks.

Don

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I have no idea what you're talking about! Lol. Hopefully some one does.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

;-)) CaptMicha,

I was speaking of a type of radiator that is commonly used in this area to optimize evaporative cooling at the backdraft vent. I am guilty of using too much flowery..(pun intended) language. The Artorima and it's cool-loving roommates i.e; Encyclia vitellina, Encyclia mariae, Lemboglossum rossii, Masdevallia sp. 'Floribunda', and Arpophyllum alpinum are all in the same boat when it comes to the ultra-hot summers in this climate. I am just attempting to find out if some other greenhouse gardener has the knowledge, or experience with constructing a simple swamp cooler for their greenhouse. Lol...thanks for calling me on my long-windedness.

A view of the backdraft louver with Artorima close by

Thumbnail by drdon
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am following this thread, interesting. I am wih Keyring, I also usually stay away from the cool growers, since I do move everything outside for the summer and it does get hot around here in NJ.
I did look up the Artorima, since I didn't know it. How would one duplicate those chilly nights/freezing temps? How about a few hours in the fridge ( 4-5 degr C) over a certain amount of time?? Or some ice-cubed waterings very early in the morning - with good ventilation .

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Eureka!

After some diligence I have found some plans to make an evaporative cooler that will bring down the summertime temps inside my house by 20F or more. I've been looking at purchasing a factory unit used by a bromeliad grower close by, but way too expensive for my budget. Of all places a hydroponics chat room helped me out.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

For anyone wishing to cool their greenhouse where summers are dry here's a simple plan for an evaporative cooler.

Thumbnail by drdon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.