Purple Orchid Tree (Bauhinia Purpurea)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
does anyone grow this that can tell me if this tree is an acid lover? I started this tree about 3 years ago from seed and when I went to plant it today, I jumped online to double check that I was remembering correctly about it being classed as a street tree, and at one site I checked it mentioned it liked acidity. In the past I have always used regular osmocote, but I planted it with some of the azalea osmocote today.
I know. A little late to ask this question, but I had a helper & I dared not wait for fear of having to do it all myself. LOL
I do have a second one to plant at a later date so all is not lost, the info will be used.
Thanks in advance,
Donna

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, that is such a gorgeous tree! I would love to have one, but know I would be crowding my luck - which I have done too often! - to try to grow it here in 8b and with the stiff winds we sometimes have. Here is a good reference from the University of Florida that indicates it tolerates clay, sand and loam, acidic to slightly alkaline. http://tinyurl.com/5h6mh Enjoy those trees - I'm trying not be envious! Yuska

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Yuska

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I just sprouted 10 seeds 2 weeks ago and now have a mini forest of these trees in a large patio pot.
Not sure what to do with them now :-) Will be very curious to what answers and feedback you get Pudgy.

Marc

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Yuska,

How different is the climate around your home from that on the Riverwalk? Unless they are a different species, I've seen Bauhinias blooming right by the river. Just purchased some Bauhinia variegata alba seed. It's supposed to be a smaller tree so I'm going to try it in a large pot, if I can get it to survive that long.

BettyDee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes Marc, I am anxious to hear from someone that grows them too. I had read about the tolerance, but can find nothing on preference. I really hope someone comes along with first hand knowledge before I plant out the second one.
We will keep our fingers & toes crossed, right? lol
Donna

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm some distance from the Riverwalk, where there is some wind protection. The Bauhinias I saw in so. Calif. appeared somewhat brittle and prone to breakage, though that might have been due more to the nature of Santa Ana winds which swirl and twist ferociously. Whole blocks had them as street trees and they were beautiful. My only spot for it would be the front yard with no protection, and an HOA that is downright prissy about falling blossoms, pods, etc. I did see another variety (Hortus III says there may be as many as 300 subspecies!) in a nearby nursery a couple of years ago, and should have gone for it. We have a new set of board members coming in; maybe I should test the waters again.

Variegata is similar in appearance to purpurea, although no white version of the latter is known to exist. Those seeds should do well for you, BettyDee. Yuska

This message was edited Mar 4, 2005 7:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.