"Public" journal???

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was a liitle suprised tonight to learn that my DG journal is accessible to non-members. I wasn't logged in yet, but I looked through my entire journal as an "outsider". I had thought that having my journal "public" meant it was viewable to members. I know it's a very short step from a non-DGer to a non-subscribed member, but I guess I hadn't considered it carefully enough. There are things in there I don't want completely available to just anyone. I don't at all want to give members the cold shoulder, but is there anyway we could have an option to make our journals public to subscribers only? I'll post pics and info on forums because I know these are folks that have signed up, we know who everyone is. I don't really like the openly public option, though, for pics of my personal proprty/family. Could we possibly have a subscribers only journal option???

Thanks,
Jacci

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL -- 2 things:

1) I think I realized that my computer "cookied" or whatever you call it this website and possibly treated me like I was logged in even though I had not manually logged in

2) I just saw tonight that there's a separate thread for journal questions...sorry

But, could you please reply and give me the "for certain" scoop on who can access public journals???

Thanks!!!
Jacci :)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Jacci, if your journal is marked public, that means it's accessible to anyone who can surf the 'net.

There is a good reason for this - let's say you want to use your journal as a way of sharing your garden photos and information with friends and family (or your fellow gardening club members, etc.) You can give the link to anyone or post it anywhere, and people can access it without the hassle of registering for a username.

But that does raise a good point about journals - if you mark your journal public, you should keep in mind that the information in it can be accessed and read by anyone, anywhere. It's not a good idea to list your real name, your address, telephone number, etc. anywhere within the journal (and definitely not your email address!)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Terry :) I've marked it as private now. Is there no way that only DG subscribers could access private journals? Kind of like the forums have limited access? Just wondering. Private to net surfers, but public to subscribers would be the best of both worlds :)

Take care,
Hugs

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, it *could* be done, but keep in mind that journals are available to all members, not just subscribers. Making them "public" to subscribers would be kind of weird for the non-subscribers.

Assuming there's a logical way to approach it, the programming would be up to Dave ;o)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, I guess I'm clueless about more than one thing. I forgot non-subscribers had journals. Oops. Alright, makes sense. Thanks for answering my questions :) Take care,

Hugs :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images