what is a cool veg and warm veg?

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i would like to know what plants are considered warm and cool...we are trying to plant and sow by the farmers almanac...lol..help

cindy

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

brommom,

I've never heard those terms used, but I only seen the farmer's almanac a few times. There are vegetables that are planted in the spring while others should be planted in early fall. The majority of vegetabes, such as tomatoes, melons, peppers, squash, cucumbers, beans,beets, corn, etc, are planted in the spring when the soil has warmed up as they need warmth to thrive. Peas can be planted when the soil is still cool. Cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas, garlic, onions and a few others are planted in the fall as most will bolt and produce seed if it's too hot. Some will overwinter without much damage. Others will put out a good root system then start their growth when the worst is over.

By the farmer's almanac, do you mean that you want to plant by the phases of the moon? The farmer's almanac, I believe, is an old national publication, without much information about what grows best in a particular area. Your county extension agent will have up to date publications with lists of vegetables that grow best in your area and when the best time to plant is. You will have better success with those varieties. That's not to say you can't experiment with others. Since those lists give monthly times, you can still plant by the moon phases.

BettyDee

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i picked this up at the store the other day

Harris' Farmers Almanac

my secretary does veggies, not me...lol

it says, for example: march 21st plant cool season crops

april 7th, sow warm weather veggie seeds indoors
april 12th sow cool weather veggie seeds indoors

this is just an example of what is in this book...its great...tells when the best time to fertilize and divide and start cuttings and so on...i know about doing such by the phases of the moon but this is more specific and the reason why i picked this up

thanks
cindy

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cindy ; I rate the old farmers Almanac about 3 notches below Grit magazine for up to date information. Needless to say I ignore it. Betty Dee gave you ggod infomation. Cool season vegetables are just that. Those which like cool weather and include Egglish peas, all Brassicas, Irish potatoes, radishes, onions, Lettuce etc. In warnmer climates they have to be planted early before the summer heat. For the most part, they will tolerate low temperates as long as the ground does not freeze. In cool climates like the UK, parts of Canada, Alaska, they are grown in the summer. Hot weather vegetables are very susceptible to frost and require summer temps above 80 to really do well. These include sweet potatoes, all melons, southern peas, eggplant, tomatoes, squash etc.
Planting times vary with the local climate. Most of the cool weather veggies are planted as soon as the ground dries ou after the spring thaw. Doesn't apply to me because the ground does not freeze here, We plant English peas in December- February and Irish potatoes the first of February.
Your Ag extension agent, or U of Mo online can give you average planting times for your area. These are goo places to start, but nothing beats experience. Two garden a mile apart can have climates sufficently different to be a couple of weeks apart.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2005 6:27 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WE always plant our spinach, brussels, cabbage, broccoli cauliflower lettuce as early as we can, soon as chance of frost is over. We also plant them in the fall, but they do better planted in the spring time for us, and we're done with these when the hot weather comes, the hotter the weather, the more worms we have to pick off. And when it warms up, say the end of april here, we plant the tomatoes, beans, squashes, cucumbers egg plant, etc... But the spinach , brussels, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, all ike cooler weather, the other plants, do better in warmer weather, hope this helps, everybody plants their garden differently, my neighber swears by the farmers almanac, and they give you wide ranges of dates to plant things, so It's a pretty good guide to go by.

kathy

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

thanks for all the info...i will be sure to print this out for tammy....her grandpa swore by the almanac, and she is gonna see what she can get done and how it works

thanks
cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.