total novice! ( a know nothing)

Coral Springs, FL(Zone 10b)

My mom grew african violets, I remember her tending them with great joy! So on the aniversary of her death I bought a great big one, supposedly grown in outer space and WAY bigger than any I remember her having! Big dark green ruffly leaves, lots of pretty velvety ones.
So Ive had this one for a year, have watered it, even put it in an expensive "african violet pot". I've put it under a grow lamp, I have fed it. The original leaves are still dark green, but the other, newer growth is tiny...plus it looks like a whole bunch of little plants are growing out of the center!
And all Ive gotten is one anemic looking flower, which looks nothing like the ones it was blooming with when I bought it!
What am I doing wrong???

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If the leaves in the center are tiny & scrunched looking, it's possible your AV might be getting too much light. Raise your grow light away from the plant or switch to light from a window. If you're seeing multiple crowns from the center of the plant, or little plantlets growing along the central stem area, then your plant may be setting suckers. Stress or damage to the crown can cause this, but some varieties are just more prone to it than others. You can pinch off the suckers, or you can turn them into additional plants! See http://www.robsviolet.com for good information on propagation from suckers as well as for good general advice on AV culture.

Thank you! I have moved the plant to a window that gets filtered light most of the day. It was exactly as you described, and I hope to learn more about this
wonderful plant by visiting this thread often. I also appreciate the link, as I would like to have more African Violets, and learn to treat them properly. Thank you again!

Wow. It already looks better and there were two more little flowers that were "unfurling" that I didn't see before, but popped up from the crown...
(I hope I am using this terminology right). There are little leaves on either side of the flowers...
Anyway- now I'm hooked...going shopping today for a pretty plant stand to put into my " Old Chautauqua" victorian style bedroom. Cool and dappled light through lace and filtered further by an outdoor guava. Finally! A challenge houseplant for us Floridians! Whoda thunk!
So thanks again...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, if you're got a digicam, post a pic when you've got your violet set up in its lovely new digs!

My AVs do well near a bright south window, but they're a little bit away from the window so they're not in direct light. With that bright Florida sunshine, the filtered light situation you've put your in now may be just about perfect! If your AV feels it is now not getting quite enough light, it will hold its leaves upwards, as if reaching for the sun..... I think finding the "right" window may be the biggest challenge in growing AVs, at least for me!

So glad to hear your plant is doing better, and delighted that you're now "hooked"..... welcome to the "hooked on AVs" club!

oh my, this plant is so beautiful now, so happy. Got a digicam on layaway, will post the photo when I get it out!
Thank you again. (8 flowers now, dark dark purple, just like what it looked like at the nursery!) Thank you!
:) and a little thank you prayer too...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.