White Wisteria

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

My white Wisteria is covered in blooms. This was labeled as Texas White. The fragrance is very strong and sweet.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2005 4:57 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Aren't you lucky, wisteria blooms in february, LOL Mine is not even budding out yet with leaves. boo hoo!!!

very pretty, I have purple.

I love those chinese wisterias too

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

very beautiful, clare. I didn't even know there was a white

Thanks, Kathy_Ann and Vossner. I think Texas White is a chinese wisteria hybrid, wisteria sinensis. I also have some other chinese and japanese varieties. I have pink, purple, and double purple, but this is the first one to bloom for me. My Cooke's Purple is starting to leaf out so I don't think it is going to bloom for me this year. I'm pretty sure it was in too much shade this year so I just moved it.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty Clare, first white I have seen.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Clare, where did you get your jap. varieties at.

kathy

Thanks PudgyMudpies! Kathy, I bought a few from a local nursery, some bareroot ones from Home Depot, and some at this online nursery: http://www.bloomriver.com/reFrame.asp?page=/root/viewPlants.asp?ID=7

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a white wisteria that I bought from Lowes 3 years ago. It was in full bloom when I bought it,but hasn't produced any flowers since that first year.

The vine is in full sun growing up a 60ft or more tall pine tree. The pine is top branched so the wisteria gets plenty of light,can someone maybe tell me why i,m not getting any bloooms. The plant grows nicely each spring but no flowers and my mom has one right next door and hers blooms like crazy.

Accord to Peter Valder's book on wisteria, not enough full sun exposure is the number one reason why some wisterias don't bloom. You could try a bloom booster fertilizer in the spring. This white wisteria of mine produced no blooms at all last year, and only one bloom the year before that. This is the first year that it is covered in blooms. It has been in full sun all year. I'll take out his book again tonight to see if I can find more reasons why some wisterias won't bloom.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link Clara. Wow, I never knew there was that many Wisterias and they're pricey too. LOL

Sure, Ada. Yeah, it is true that they aren't inexpensive from that nursery, but they send out decent-sized grafted plants so the benefit is that they should bloom fairly quickly.

For anyone who is interested, this is an amazing book on Wisterias, written by Peter Valder: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881923184/qid=1108790631/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-5421375-2801428 I can highly recommend it. The pictures alone are worth the price of the book.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Clare. It means a lot when they send decent plants.

Yes, the thing about wisteria is that a seedling often won't flower until it is five years old or older. If you buy a grafted plant, which is at least a few years old, you can see flowers much sooner than you would otherwise. I bought a few plants from them a little over a year ago, and I am crossing my fingers that I will see some blooms from them this year. I will definitely post more pictures if I get more blooms.

This was my pink one from last year:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I wish you luck on yoyr blooms this year, Clare. I like the pink also.

Thanks, Ada:-)

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

I also have a pink variety but dont know a name for it. I could tell that it was a grafted plant though so maybe i'll get blooms from it this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.