Datura seeds/(GA-3)

St Peters Village, PA(Zone 6a)

jlhudson seeds has many datura seeds some of which germinate faster using gibberellic acid (GA-3).
Has anyone used this method and with what results?

Am getting antsy for spring - I swear each winter I won't start any seeds
. . . yeah right!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

SpringOaks, you're like the rest of us, getting Spring fever too soon. LOL
My house is full of containers with seeds sown in them.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've never used the stuff. Are things like that dangerous to use? I know absolutely nothing about it. I'm doing good to be able to use a growth inhibitor.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

I don't think you will need GA3 for Dats, they do really good on their own, for the most part. Joelle

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Springoaks,

If you look back approximtely 3 weeks ago we had a thread going on GA-3, It was very interesting.

Jeanette

Yes, I did a lot experiments using 500, 1000 and 2000 ppm GA-3. In some Datura seeds like D. leichhardtii, D. discolor GA-3 will often inhibit germination, whereas in D. quercifolia it will only have a small effect at all dosages. In D. ceratocaula, though, that often will not germinate in potsoil at all, GA-3 will cause 100% germination in less than 48 hours. Dosage 500 ppm will be best, as 1000-2000 ppm will cause the stems to elongate too much and 5000 ppm will cause the stems to collapse.

Jnette,

Thanks for the GA-3 thread - it was Feb 6th. Unfortunately in the 49 replies only a couple mentioned GA-3 and didn't pertain. The link to hudson is the info I have, intending to purchase some datura seed from them. Some varieties take up to 12 weeks to germinate and this acid is used to hasten that process. JLHudson's seed list indicates which ones but I don't feel there is enough info specific to datura.

The scientific info on this substance is found at jlhudsonseeds.net. IT IS A FASCINATING READ!! Go for it!

Briefly, the first Gibberellic acid was discovered in the 1800s by Japanese plant pathologists studying a disease in rice whereby seedlings grew elongated and died. (79 have now been isolated) It is a chemical produced by a fungus which is now grown commercially for use in general agriculture. Gibellerins are found naturally in many common plants such as: rice, maize, wheat, barley, etc; and are used differently by them. GA's have varying purposes in the trade such as increasing fruit size and yield, decreasing or increasing fruit set, shoot length, triggering flowering and on and on.

It is a very precise science. An example given, just to whet your appetites; 2 nanograms (a billionths of a gram) can trigger cone formation in Arizona cypress shoot tips hastening the tree-breeding programs. GA-3, specifically, is said to trigger some dormant and old seeds overcoming the need for stuff like cold and/or light treatment etc.
Only some specific datura seed varieties respond to this process. The jury is out whether or not I will give it a try.
If I do, is anyone interested in my posting progress and results.

Tonny,

Thanks for your notes which I just read after submitting that lengthy response to the thread from Feb 6.
It was truly an awesome article.

I am planning on getting several of the metel varieties
(Hindu Datura). Do these varieties belong to leichhardtii?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.