What is a hibiscus?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been watching this forum and I would like to know exactly what a hibiscus is. Is it a perennial? When do you plant it? How do you plant it? Any information that you all have would be highly appreciated. I was looking at the co-op and the pictures of the flowers are beautiful. I think my DH who is legally blind would really like these since they colors are so vibrant. So I would like to know a little bit more about them if that is okay. Thank you.

JesseK

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh Jesse, this is a big question! I personally grow three kinds of hibiscus in MI, 2 outside and 1 inside.

Hibiscus moscheutos is a perennial plant that dies to the ground up here every winter. It gets huge, dinner plate sized flowers from about July to frost, likes full sun and lots of water.

Hibiscus syriacus is a shrub or small tree (to 10 feet, although I have never had one get that big) that is fairly easy to grow. It has smaller flowers, maybe the size of my palm. Self seeds freely.

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is a tropical shrub that dies if frozen, but does very well in pots. The flowers are about 5 inches across.

I love hibiscus, they are my favorite flower. Check in the plant files, you will be amazed at the colors and varieties you can find.

Hope this helps some!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

sylvi, yes this does help. I love the hibiscus flowers but wanted to know what I could plant in pots. So I will look into the ones you listed here for me. Thank you.

JesseK

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Jesse, Most folks in our zone, grow tropical hibiscus (rosa-sinensis) in pots. In fact, most bloom better when somewhat root bound.

Here's a photo taken of a few of mine right before I brought them inside for the winter. Nat

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Those are beautiful nathalyn. Which ones are they? And how do I know which ones will do better in pots or are the tropical ones? Thank you.

JesseK

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Jesse, all of those in my picture are tropical hibiscus. Starting with the variegated one in the top going counterclock wise, they are Snow Queen, Gabriel, 5th Dimension (yellow one), Purple Magic, and God's Grace (the double red).

Any of the tropical ones will do great in pots. Most greenhouses and nurseries will carry tropical hibiscus in the spring (it's a little too early for them to be out). And I would suggest that you start with a couple of basic tropical hibiscus from a local supplier. If you are confused as to which ones are tropical, just ask a sales person. Then if you REALLY like growing them, you may want to consider purchasing a named hybrid from some of the quality growers.

There is a Tropical Hibiscus Coop going on right now in the COOP forum for liners (small rooting cuttings) with unusually low prices, but these will take 3 months or more to bloom. For a first time grower, I'd recommend that you start with a blooming size plant.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

So all of the ones in the co-op are tropical? Then that shows me which ones to buy. Thanks for telling me that.

JesseK

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

sylvi74 and nathalyn - I'm in zone 5 and have to stick to the hardy hibiscus. When purchasing hibiscus I'm often told it's a hardy one, while it may be hardy in zone 7 and 8 not so for zone 5. Do either of you have a good reference on hardiness or a good rule of thumb. One that has the name and hardiness for me to print off and take with me in my hunt. I've always thought the tropical had a 'waxier' looking leaf but on seedlings there is often not enough leaf for this check.

Thanks

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Here are some Hardy Hibiscus plants and there size and zone

DINNER PLATES – 10–12” bloom, hardy in zones 5-9.

Red Dinner Plate Hibiscus

Plum Dinner Plate Hibiscus

Lt. Pink Dinner Plate Hibiscus

Dk. Pink Dinner Plate

White Dinner Plate Hibiscus

HARDY – 7-9” bloom, hardy in zones 5-9.

Texas Star – Bright Red

Fireball – Deep Red – Red Center

Blue River II Rose Mallow – White – White Center

Kopper King Rose Mallow – Lt. Pink - Dk. Pink Center

Lord Baltimore Rose Mallow – Hot Pink - Dk. Pink Center

Lady Baltimore – Lt Pink – Dk. Pink Center

Disco Belle Rose Mallow – Red – Red Center

Soldier Rose Mallow – Lt. Pink – Ruby Center

African Rose Mallow – Dk. Pink – Burgundy Center – Red Leaf

October Rose Mallow – Salmon Pink – Rose Center

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks 2pugdogs.....

Leland, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello all, I'm a begger! I have several hibiscus, but would love to have more. They are so lovely to see blooming and nothing more faithful to enhance a garden in summer. I know I should go to trading forum, but just to let you'll know, I'm ready for more hibiscus.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

sharonsflowers, if you can't find anyone to trade, go to the coop forum, they are having a coop for some hibiscus you can get some there real reasonable. The dealer they are getting them from I have gotten some from before and they are very nice.

Edited to remove the word cheap

This message was edited Feb 23, 2005 11:06 PM

sharonsflowers, I'm trying to get a hibiscus cutting trade going in lieu of the now defunk hardy hibiscus co-op. Possibly you'd like to join in? http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/490229/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.