packs of gnats all of a sudden

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hello,

I just noticed little crowds of gnats(?) flying around over ground in the yard. We have had some warm moist weather here lately. I have seen these "clouds" of small flying bugs in the past and they just seemed to appear out of nowhere today.

Are these gnats? Is there some pre-spring procedure that can be done to thwart insects lurking in the soil before they hatch?

Thanks,

Maureen

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Maureen,
I don't know what they are but I have the same problem. I will be anxious to see what DG experts say. Mine are in prepared beds with mulch.
Christine

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I hope somebody knows :)

I am planning to buy some benefical nemotodes this year and see if that helps because last year I had big fungus gnat issues outside, it's very humid here all year long. Yesterday the humidity got up to 90%

I hope those little flying clouds of bugs are not newborn fungus gnats.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure what your flying insects are, but mine are definitely sand gnats that bite. :-(

Terri

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I don't know that our little bugs are affected by the humidity because it is so dry here. It had been unusually warm (mid 50s-60s) them wham..down to 30's and snow. Bugs seem to have disappeared for now. I would still like to know what they are and if they are helpful or harmful.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Ewww....biting gnats! I'm not sure if these bite, but I have seen a few mosquitoes already! I wish I knew what they were and the best way to kill them.

Maybe if they hatch and we have one more hard freeze it will kill em all.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Hydrogen Peroxide 1 part to 20 parts, mix, spray, repeat. also Neem I think is beneficial nematodes that has worked for some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.