Seed Starting

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Someone sent me seeds for Texas Star and China's Full Moon. I've never grown hibiscus from seeds before - any clues will be appreciated.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread cause I need to know the same thing.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Any advise will be highly welcomed. Dotti

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I just soaked mine overnight 1 to 5 h202 and water. Then planted the seed about a 1/2 inch. deep in a seedling starting tray and placed it under a light and sat them on a heat mat.
I was real lucky because in four days I had some popping through the soil. I didn't have any special kind of soil just regular MiracleGro, I didn't even sterilize and for some reason they did good. I am including a picture of them. Out of 40 seeds that I planted I have ended up with 25. So if I had of sterilized my soil, and used jiffy mix I may have done even better.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is the seedling tray that I used to start my hibiscus seeds.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your info 2pupdogs, I'll be starting some this weekend and it comes in helpful!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much! I have hydrogen peroxide and distilled water on hand, also sterile starter mix. I'll get busy right away. Yuska

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank You for the info 2pugdogs I will be starting mine in 3 weeks and needed to know this Thanks to yuska for starting the thread also.
Have a Nice Day All!
Robbie

I had some hibiscus seeds sent to me and they look quite different. Both packets were simply labeled 'Hibiscus'. One is a smallish round seed, resembling a blackeyed susan vine seed (to me anyway) and the other is a flat seed with a fuzzy edging all around it. Would anyone know why these are different? Is one the tropical H and one the hardy H? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
.....Liz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.