Welcome to the Journals forum

This forum will be for discussion of the journal feature of DG.

Dave

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dave! I've moved a few of the "oldies-but-goodies" threads here to kick things off, but this should be a great place to get help and advice on setting up our personal journals.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Again, here I am showing up almost 2 months later........sigh...

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hi Dave,

I just received your email about changing the journal. I'm not one to use the journal (I have mine on an excel spreadsheet on my computer). I really don't know how the journal works - haven't played around with it much.

Karrie

Medicine Hat, AB(Zone 3a)

I found the journal hard to use. I fooled around with it and then gave up. I think all I have in there is sub headings. I use the trader tracker though.

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

I used the journal for a while, but found it too cumbersome, and now like Karrie, keep all my information on Excel spreadsheets. This year, the only thing I'm keeping track of are the 360+ seedlings that I'm growing for myself and various hybridizers. And, I update it on a weekly basis. The information that I keep track of:

1. The plant's name (they are all numbered)
2. The hybridizer's name
3. Date the seed was planted
4. Date the seed was transplanted
5. Any notes

Hope this is helpful :)

Gretchen

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I enjoyed using the journal for one year, during which time I posted pictures of nearly every item in my gardens, so I'd know what is coming up and where. I also, for one year, used it as a daily blog for following seasons, weather, planting, seed starting, etc. where. I stopped because there is no easy way to refer to the "same time last year". One of the nice features of my 10-year journal is a quick look back at what I was doing one year ago that day and what the weather and temperatures were like, especially this time of year.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Dave thanks for the invite to this forum. I have used my journal but unfortunately tried doing it from 2 different computers and had a mess. Terry and I tried figuring it out and then like usual life got in the way and I just let it drop.

I have not given up entirely but do find myself going back to the paper and pencil type of journal (with no pictures). I am sure that it is as much or more my lack of daily effort/persistance as it is in the functions of the journal that keeps me from using it more.

I will stay tuned to this forum for more information.

thanks,
Joy

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

I use the Journal to (attempt) to keep track of all of my Brugs. I did & still do find it a little confusing to use. I also keep a hand written journal daily as to temps, last frost date etc. I like to refer back from year to year as to our last frost, first frost, snow etc. Not so much the plants. I don't have Excel or I probably would just keep track of the plants on a spread sheet as do some of the others. I do have RID numbers & basic info in a binder incase of computer failure (yikes! what a thought!) I do like the rid numbers because everyone having access to the journal forum can also keep track of related seedlings to mine & vice versa. All of my plants now growing have the RID numbers on their tags. Journals are a good thing but need to be easier to use, not so technical, Thank-x for asking. Bj

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

I have enjoyed using the journal, and although I've not made an entry in it recently, it's a real record of my gardens and yard. I'm going to think about it more and see if I can come up with some positive ideas. Thanks for asking.

I also started to use the journal, but it got confusing so I reverted back to my pencil and paper. I am, however not one to keep great records so maybe the journal would work better for ones who are more dilligent with their record keeping. I haven't really looked at the whole thing to be able to give a good oppinion yet though, either. Have to think about it and maybe try using the current one again.
Thanks....Liz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images