michigan forum

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Some other michiganders have showed an interest in having our own forum like texas so i am
#1 in asking for it

we need 4 more people from mich to ask.........

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Dori

You got my vote......a Michigan forum would be great, I think it would bring us closer together. Who knows, we can maybe even organize a Michigan Roundup!

Deann

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

clearing throat....I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, here - but before y'all get your hopes up that five votes will get a forum....

A few years ago, when our group was much smaller, Dave used a threshhold of five "ayes" to start a new forum, because that represented a signifcant percentage of our population. With 3,000+ subscribers that's no longer the case, so instead of having a set number, it's more a matter of seeing a lot of interest from a sizeable group of subscribers.

As you may recall there was significant debate (and ultimately some fallout) from the last request for a state forum. Dave implemented the TX forum as a test and up to this point, he hasn't given any indication he's ready to proceed with any other state or regional forums.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well im just asking because people have been asking me about it!
It was this fall when he created the texas forum that he said we needed 5 people to request a new forum and we came up a lil short of that.
I sure hope that dave will let us have one. Im here almost everyday-most of the day and if he needed me to keep an eye on it i would more than gladly do that too.
I feel it would be a good thing for us since winter last much longer up this way.
People down south are already trading plants and all we can trade here right now is snow.
Please think this one over-pretty please!!! :)
thanks
dori

Peekskill, NY(Zone 6b)

Notmartha,

I'll trade you one New York snowball for one Michigan snowball -- I'm flying into Detroit this afternoon on a business trip from New York!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well the snow is melting but i can still scoop one up for ya!!
Have a great stay -they say more snow is on the way! ;)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I vote for a Michigan Forumn

Paul

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd love to see a Michigan Forum.

It would be great to have a place where gardeners with similar growing conditions could share information. I can think of lots of advantages this could present for all of us Michigan Gardeners.

The snow may have melted, but we are under a Winter Stom Watch once again .................. this winter certainly has been "different".

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Yesiree, My vote goes for a Michigan Forum :) I too agree how wonderful it would be not only to have our neighbors planting zone the same as ours, but as also mentioned, to be able to have a Michigan Roundup! Oh, and heres a rainball for ya repeatbloomer :)

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

mud ball coming from me - winter storm tonight - I'll place a vote!!

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi gang: I was disappointed that their isn't a roundup in Michigan. If I want to attend one I need to travel 6 hours by car. That is a long trip. Also since Michigan is in a moderate rainfall area of the country, we can sucessfully grow outdoors quite a variety of plant material. If you compare lawns , and trees growing in the USA you will probably discover that Michigan is one of the greenest states. One of the biggest agricultural businesses is the bedding plant industry. For example; Walter Gardens near Grand Rapids is one of the biggest wholesale perennial companies. Walter Gardens is a major supplier to the famous Wayside Gardens.
We also have within our state one of the first major agricultural colleges in the country. I'm referring to Michigan State University with it's numerous resources continually advancing the art and science of agriculture.
I definitely vote for a Michigan Forum. I also would like a Michigan Roundup to be held. I suggest it be in Lansing since it centrally located within the state.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

I vote for one.

Smiles. Diana

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

I am in Indiana an hour away Chicago and less than two hours from Lansing Michigan. My growing conditions have more in common with Michigan than they do with most of my state. A Michigan forum would more than likely benefit a good part of the great lakes region. I vote a big yes!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

frankford - you volunteering to organize a MI RU? IA's not too far away, y'know.... (dodging the snowballs...)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Maybe a Great Lakes forum-for all the states that deal with the great lakes and the weather they cause!-Any state would be welcome

I sneak to Texas now and then! ;)

Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

Count me in!! Either Mi. or Great Lakes. I can make lots of snowballs today!
It would be great to have a roundup nearby!
Bonnie

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My vote is yes. You know what February showers bring in MI? Mud :(

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

sylvi............are you wanting mud???? Cause I can fix you right up. We still have traces of snow left here, nuff to send a snowball anyone's way...but lots of mud too.

A Michigan roundup would be wonderful....and Frankenmuth would be a great place for it.

Deann

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I love the idea of a Michigan Roundup in Frankenmuth. It's one of the beautiful little "Gems" we have here in Michigan.

I really had to laugh when I read sylvi74's "mud joke". We definately fight the mud in spring around here. Just getting down our driveway can be a challenge.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

We are fighting the mud now with the freezes and thaws and spring will only be worse. It's such a problem with the dogs, I hate it!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Dogs love the mud! And they have webbed feet-paws are like plungers. Squish squish squish, can I sit on your lap? Arrgh!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

branka..............Know what you mean with the mud........I live in the country, on 200 acres.....and.....i have two large german shephards who are inside dogs......its a dog and pony show when its muddy out there for me to bring them in and clean their feet......Cyndee is 2 1/2 years old weighs about 95 lbs and Blaze is my ole guy, he is 10 years old and weighs about 110 lbs.....

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

Deann, your babies are most precious! GSD's are the dogs of my heart. My Gypsy girl is 100 lbs. I also have a 65# rottie mix, both inside dogs. Do you ever feel like you live in a barn, lol? We are currently working on projects to reduce the amount of mud the pups create and the amount of territory they have when they come busting in through the back door. Cleaning their feet and undersides can be a real challenge when they are in a playful mood. It's recipe for disaster and then some, lol. Sometimes I think fighting the mud this time of the year is a fruitless battle.

Here' s my mud puppies:

Thumbnail by branka
Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

hmmm, no picture. Let me try another one.

Thumbnail by branka
Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Count me in, I think it is a great idea.
Meems

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

branka.......your dogs are beautious.....I have this "wipe down" routine down to a science, and I just bring one dog in at a time...and they know that when they come in, they stop at the door and wait for the wipe down....Blaze already knew the routine, and Cyndee learned from him.....I keep 3 very large bath towels by the door for them.....Carpet Cleaners love me.....and my carpeting is a deep burgundy.....hides the dirt......

Deann

Eagle, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm casting a vote for a Michigan/Great Lakes forum.

Lily_15350

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Gosh Dori, this is coming on strong......Sure would be nice...to have a get together....and be able..to chat..in the same zones....Keep them all coming to the sign..up...hehehehe...Let us all rise our hands..ah, shoot...I tried to count everyone here...but...hehehe you know..old age, stops one from doing some things......

Smiles... Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i sure hope Dave can understand the need for this.....

I saw a post in the rose forum asking about pruning roses NOW the answer was yes but that is for people in TNN not for us up here in the NORTH!
We will have these same questions but not for a few more months.

Winter sowing castor beans??? can that be done in Michigan?

Dave was from Wisconsin and should understand where we are ALL coming from.

DAVE PRETTY PLEASE! ;) WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!

***Thanks everyone for showing your support for this venture!

Yes, we're considering regional/climate-based forums. Stay tuned!

dave

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Doing the happy dance.....Thanks Dave...we will be watching...

Smiles. Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

OH Thank you!!! :)

(((((((((((((dave))))))))))))))

I do want to add this note:
The great Lakes play a great part in our weather and gardens!
Because the Lakes can change a zone 5 to a 6.
The winds off the water can change our temps in a matter of minitues.
Yesterday we got "lake effect" snow --but it wasnt from Lake Huron (the one by me) it was from Lake Michigan and even Lake Superior all the way on the west side of the state and up NORTH

Thanks Dave and Everyone!

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

Yep, the Lakes definately make our region unique. Thanks Dave, for considering us!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a min/max thermometer and have been tracking the temps this winter. The lowest I've had is -8 degrees F. That puts me in zone 6b.
I think there is something to this global warming stuff. I'm 3 miles from the Detroit River/Lake Erie.

Paul

Midland, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW,
I think that from the response to this thread that a Great Lakes Forum is a big desire among us "northern lakes" gardeners. I have a mitigated wetland as a neighbor so my need would be inclusive of plants that can stand clay and wet feet and are not invasive. I will also cast a yeas vot.

Victorias_gate

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

I think the regional idea is a great one. Thanks, Dave!!

psssst.....you *do* have a cool climate gardening forum to enjoy without southerners complaining how hot it is already ;o) http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/coolclimates/

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I wouldnt classify Michigan as cool climate gardening. We get into the 90's July and Aug. Basically our growing season is late April into late Oct.

Baa recently linked to this site which defines various climates - pretty interesting. Here's what it says about cool climates: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/weatherwise/factfiles/basics/climate_cooltemperate.shtml

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know, it's a bloody cool climate in Lansing today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.