Is this Clematis?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Just visited a friend this morning. He had a shrub growing near his compound wall and some new growth were creeping up. The blooms were lovely. I even got an off shoot of this that was growing about 8 feet from the base of the plant. This was removed after wetting the soil and it had interlocked with the roots of a coconut tree closeby. The root of this plant was a foot and it had to be cut down. The 'young' plant has grown up to a foot with about 3 sets of leaves. Is this clematis?

Have posted this on the ID forum also.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

It doesn't look like any clematis I've ever seen. Clematis make single flowers rather than a bunch like these. It's sure beautiful, though. I wonder if it makes seeds?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Dinu-
You have a great vine there!
It is Petrea volubilis, or "sandpaper vine". When in bloom it is absolutely gorgeous! It does produce seeds when pollinated.
ccongrats on your great snag!
-T

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks very much, seedpicker. Checked out for more details on this and it is the one you mention. Now, will the part of the cutting I have pulled out from his garden survive and grow?

I'm sure you will take care of it, and it will grow, as long as you got some roots. If not, go back to the vine in a few weeks and gather the seeds.
In fact, gather the seeds, anyways! lol...
They make great trading material!
-T

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

This is the drawing I tried to make to show how the cutting from the ground root was made. The root is as thick as my little finger, about a foot long. It had small, thin roots - but they are gone, I think. The gardner at my friend's house said that it will grow. I have kept it in water having not decided the place to plant it. I will check with him again for seeds.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu-
I would encourage you to not leave it in water too long! It will absorb too much water and rot the root. Most roots need almost as much air, as they do water.

I am not saying to hurry to decide where to put it, only that you should pot in in some potting soil in a container, until you decide, not water.

good luck with it!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the timely advice, SP. Will obey your 'orders' when I go home for lunch this afternoon. The bottom leaves dried up and fell. I also noticed that it is not a fresh growth, but it had been cut and two places were showing new growth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.