Most fragrant vines & climbers you grow

Tucson, AZ

I'd like some ideas.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Honeysuckle is the only one that comes to mind right now and maybe Jasmine. We have sooo much honeysuckle that growes wild here sometimes you can get a wiff just driving by. And there are so many other pretty ones to so they would be worth a try. I just wonder if they are all really invasive as they are along the road sides and rail road tracks.
So far I don't think any of the MG's are fragrant and neither is Spanish Flag so I will stick with the top two.

8o)

Dee

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Moonflower is very fragrant at night.

Also, don't forget about roses!
There are many climbing roses that will substitute for "vines".

"Cruel vine", or "moth vine", is fragrant.

So is corkscrew flower(but it only blooms late summer) .

Podranaea ricasiolana(pink trumpet vine)-is one of my very favorite scents!

Some passion vines have fragrance, but not all of them...

that is all I can think of, right now...

-T

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Pink Jasmine. Yum. But only blooms in the Spring.
Jasminum polyanthum:

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a night blooming Jasmine VIne that was given to me last spring, and in the evening my mind goes to many different places when it blooms. I keep the door from my kitchen open to my screened in porch and in the evening the whole kitceh and dining room fills with the scent of paradise. I would say it is one of my favorites.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

'Snowdrift' evergreen clematis armandii....heavenly aroma. Scent similar to jasmine, sort of.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

There are so many, but a few are Stephanotis floribunda, Passifloras (some, not all), Telosma cordata, Quisqualis indica, Jasminum polyanthum, Beautimontia grandiflora, Trachelospermum jasminoides, and Senecio confusus. If you pay a visit to your local Home Depot garden section, they should carry many of the popular vines which are hardy in your area. Some of the ones that I mentioned are tropical or semi-tropical vines and would need to be protected from frost.

Tucson, AZ

Boy, Pudgymudpies, that jasmine is an awesome beauty. I am so jealous. I have planted a couple in Tucson but they always seem to die. I am going to have to attempt it again.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Joanie, I just love it. I wish it bloomed more, but the foliage is evergreen & it really does look good all year. I got these about hmmm, 5 years ago I think. The first year I planted them in the back bed where it was full shade. They did fine, but the trellis broke & I decided to move them. I moved them to where they are in the pic and that is full sun. They do good there too. I do have to really butcher it back in the summer though because it is a very fast grower. But I have not had any problem with roots coming up anywhere so I would not call it aggressive. Mine are planted in heavy clay & I really do not water them, other then the sprinkler hitting them. The one closest to the fence has a sprinkler head right in front of it so I am sure the clay is really saturated, but the other one just gets sprinkled so I am sure the soil is dry.
So if they can handle wet or dry, shade or sun, then all I can suggest is to test your soil ph? I cannot think of any other reason they would die.
Good luck, I know you will really love this. The smell is divine.
Donna

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I bought a passiflora edulus that was in a 3 gallon pot. I didn't realize how fragrant they were till I was driving home with it in the car. It had a pleasant fragrance(unlike a few of them, lol)
I didn't need another vine, but it was too pretty to pass up!

Calalily, are you sure that yours is P. edulis? My P. edulis didn't have a fragrance, and I think it is supposed to be scentless. Can you post a picture of the flower?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The most fragrant one I grow is Stephanotis floribunda, and it blooms all summer long.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Kayjones, where did you get your Stephanotis???? I have been trying for over a year to find one...seed, cutting, anything and so far no luck.
Oh I have found it for sale on some tropicals web sites, but I just can't pay their price...........
Does yours ever produce seed?
Oh the scent is pure heaven..........................................

Mark, I bought mine at Target, but they have them at Home Depot here also. Logee's sells it also for $9.95: http://www.logees.com/store/ Kartuz has it for $7.50: http://www.kartuz.com/floweringvines.html I've never seen seeds on mine.

Here it is. The lady at the nursery said it was P. edulus. She had one that also looked like P. ligularis but it wasn't blooming at the time I was there.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Clare....I guess I've been looking in all the wrong places. :-0 I'll check HD later this weekend......Target???
Who'd a thunk it?

Calalily, that is definitely not P. edulis. P. edulis looks like the picture below. It looks like you have P. Incense, which has a lovely flower with fragrance. Or it could be P. cincinnata, but P. Incense is much more commericially available.

Mark, I know. I was shocked when I came across it in one-gallon containers at Target for around $8 each. I bought two! Home Depot has it in the five-gallon sizes here.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

This is what I think you have:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

On the other hand, P. edulis Frederick looks like this: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/49579/ but I think yours has more purple in it. P. edulis tends to look more like this: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/57605/ or like this: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/41810/

In any case, whatever it is, it is beautiful. P. edulis is self-pollinating so, if it is P. edulis, you should get a fruit following each flower.

It's definitely not P. Incense, I have Incense and this one is more white and the leaves are different.
I see what you mean about the purple, mine sure has a lot more purple than your flower. The link to P. Fredrick looks a lot like it. Do you know if P. edulus Fredrick is self fertile?
P. edulus flavacarpa isn't self fertile(my friend grows these at her fruit farm). I can't remember what the flowers looked like. Seems like they had quite a bit of purple. I'll have to wait till hers recover from the freeze at Christmas and start to flower again.

I see what you mean. Yes, maybe it is a special cultivar or hybrid of P. edulis. I don't know if Fredrick is self-fertile, I just know the regular P. edulis is. On the one of mine that I pictured above, I got fruit following every flower. P. edulis flavacarpa looks like this: http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/si/13815/

Check out this link: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/143.html

Edited to add interesting link.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2005 3:07 PM

That is an interesting link Clare. I wonder if the guava they're talking about is the one called "lemon guava"? It has a very good taste.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Joanie,
had a few more ideas, Cinnamon Vine (Dioscorea batatas), Chocolate Vine (Akebia, you would need 2 varieties if you wanted fruit), and Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens).
The first 2 smell like their names, LOL (duh, huh?), and Jessamine fragrance is described as almonds, but I am not sure about that one, only seen online.
Hope that gives you some more ideas.
Donna

Boulder Creek, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm a vine nut too. So which of the above might germinte from seed and flower this season, right away? Any of you trade or SABE some of these seeds too?

I had to go out and smell the Carolina jessamine, it smells like Jergen's lotion(which smells like almonds).
Don't you grow Dioscorea batatas from little tubers? Do they make seed?

Susie, I have the Lemon guava too, and you're right that it is yummy.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

I thought the wild Gelsemium smelled like baby powder, but Jergens may be closer. I picked a small sprig near a Welcome Center on an interstate in SC, admired it, sniffed it, and discovered that I'm allergic to it -- I started chain-sneezing and couldn't stop till I got rid of it. But I still love it!

I am starting some seeds of Lindheimer's morning glory (Ipomoea lindheimeri) that is reportedly fragrant. I'll give a follow-up report if I am successful in getting it to flower.

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.