Star Plate Project

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Passed one of these on my way to Mad-Town, WI. (Madison)

Looks like it would be strong enough to withstand snow we get up here.

This is a new concept to me for a GH structure.

Anyone have one or know of one that can LMK what you think of this idea ?

http://www.strombergschickens.com/starplate_building_system/3_greenhouse.htm

TIA, Shirley

EDIT > one of the things I like is that you can use 8 ft wide poly which would make it a lot more do-able for me.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2005 11:58 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Nice greenhouse for hobby ---differant looking----eye catcher--- Shaped like a kazebo.
How much is it.
Would it be cheeper for ya to just build a kazebo---and just cover with plastic---so you dont have to pay for shipping on that Star type greenhouse?

cricket

Northern, AR(Zone 6b)

I have a friend that built one and loves it, I'm thinking of one for my self, we don't get the snow that you get, although I think it will handle a good amount of weight, because of It's geometrical design. I'll take a pic of his and send it to ya.

http://www.strombergschickens.com/starplate_building_system/starplate_index.htm

If you are referring to the list of materials , that is a material list for the builder.

The only thing they sell for the GH is the set of Star Plates ( comes with instructions.)

Cricket, I think it's a cute enough Hobby GH to put near the front garden.

BTW, I've been following your project on your new GH .... B R A V O ! Well done.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

I bought a set of those twenty some years ago for the outrageous price of twenty three dollars. I have used them repeatedly for various structures as needed and dismantled them afterward or when they became shabby. The plates still work. The structures are still sound when built and the size is totally your choice. The only thing I would mention you shoud consider is the cost of 2x2s is more than the cost of 2x4s unless you can rip them yourself.. I cut 5 mil plastic into panels and used weatherproofing stripping to fasten the edges. You can put a second layer of plastic on the inside for insulation. Jessamine

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I saw a house built that way a number of years ago. I know it's still standing. The design makes it super strong!
Any time you use triangles, the strength becomes great. Truss rafters use the same principal.
You should be able to make it any size you want.
Bernie

Yeah, what Bernie said ! Triangle is the strongest shape there is.

Bill (moko )sent me photos of his friends GH .

I hope it's alright to put them here

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Here is the other one Bill was so kind to send to me.

(* lanyap ..... lol *)

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Northern, AR(Zone 6b)

:o)

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Wonder if you could fashion aome sort of gazebo out of one of those kits?xMaybee with some latice work.I entered site in my bookmark. Tried to send for info but wont accept my email address. Try later on.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Some of the suggested used are toolshed, gazebo, greenhouse, playhouse, guesthouse, etc. I guess your imagination is the limit. Jessamine

You name it! - aviary, greenhouse, screenhouse, storage building, small animal cage, animal barn, display stand, beach cabana, cold frame, grape arbor, climbing toy, foam house form, sandbox, corn crib, fruit stand, open woodshed, golf course shelter, playhouse, dog house, ice fishing hut, sauna, hunting shelter, warming house, and . . .

I saw a Rustic style vacation cabin made like this. http://www.geocities.com/jostpi/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.