Spring is sneaking in

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I checked the lilac buds this AM. Weather was cold and blustery and the sky threatened snow. The buds had their hard steel 'jackets', intact

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I checked the grapevines for signs of new buds emerging, but found none.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I walked around the back of the house and saw - 27 robins cavorting in the field. These are the first! Now they all seem to be gone, heading north.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Later this afternoon a flock of seagulls flew over and headed north north east.

Also a whole field full ( maybe 300-400) starlings who also whet north, hope they took their three northern brothers with them! Course my camera battery was dead from spending the morning outside in the cold. By the time I changed it, it was too late.

Our ground is frozen and the day was cloudy and mostly overcast, but the small signs of very early spring are happening!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, se_eds, you have spring fever!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

You're right! But I must admit that even the snow is different this time. Soft and slushy.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Picture didn't go through

Thumbnail by se_eds
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Me too! I am chomping at the bit I tell ya'! We are having spring like weather right now but, I know better than to trust that this is the real thing.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Would you call this a "Indian Spring"?
Here, it will go from heaters steady, to AC steady.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Heater in the morning, ac in the afternoon (if you're a sissy)!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

9 Inches of snow and 22 degrees this AM. Beautiful snow blowing weather, cold, dry and NO wind. LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Brrrr....

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So seeds, is Spring still sneaking in at your place? There's no sign of 'her' here....way too cold for my blood these days! Loved your pics, as always. t.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Not yet tabasco. Went down to the farm where the Blue Heron nests in the summer. Hope they don't show up for a while.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

March weather is so fickle. Beautiful morning, got up to 40 degrees, then snow.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Whats the body of water in the background?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The Wiconisco Creek enters the Susquehanna River at Millersburg, Pa. in this photo. It is also the location of the Millersburg Rod and Gun Club. Neat place for the club, huh?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

37 degrees tonight. Stars in the skies! haven't seen them in a while. The moon is in Taurus. I will plant more seeds as this is an earth sign. I transplanted a banana plant today. Sowed in February lst week. Crocus species are blooming. Spring IS coming.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I know it is spring when the local bird watchers gather here at the River for the Spring Annual Waterfowl Survey. They are supposed to be coming up the river.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Pa. Game Commission Land Manager Scott Bills led the survey. PGC provided a wealth of binoculars, telescopes, etc. all set on heavy duty tripods, set into the ground in tubes so the wind didn't blow them over. Even had some army equipment. I saw very few cameras.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I went to take pictures, and this was the only bird I saw. The people scared the Canada Geese away to the river islands

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Since there was a shortage of birds to photograph, I took pictures of me watching the bird watchers, watching for birds.

I will go back again this weekend because the snow geese are coming up the river in gaggles. Lately I've heard them, but can't see them due to cloud cover.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

And the game commission never heard of bird blinds??

Loved the story and the pics... a smile for the morning break.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-) I smiled, too.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Blooms, when the snow geese come up the river, you don't need blinds. They have 200,000 at Middlecreek, further down the river (counted by satellite). They take off from there with up to 1000 in a flight. What you do need is a sturdy hat! I've seen them cover the area between the two shores, all flying together. The river is less than a mile wide here. Since there is a lot of open farm country and open fields of winter wheat and barley they sometimes do quite a bit of damage on their way through.
These geese don't just clip grain fields, they pull it out by the roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.