Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil mix:

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

MiracleGro Moisture Control potting soil mix: How many container Gardener have used this and what is your opinion of it. I have been using it this winter because my Walmart didn't carry the regular MiracleGro. The only potting soil they were carrying was there own brand. This is my opinion ONLY. It is wet to start with and then after a while it seems like it really doesn't hold the moisture like the common MiracleGro. I was at HD a couple of weeks ago and there I found a big bag of the regular and I am going back to it.

Please let me know what your opinion is on this potting soil.

Linda

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

I just bought two big bags for my new containers and would love to hear some opinions on this stuff, too.

Byron, GA

I found that plants were too quick to rot because of the moisture retention. I don't use it but my Mom loves it. She and I differ in our watering methods. She has treated water and likes to fill milk jugs for watering and her plants stay on the dry side. However, I have well water and hose everything down and do so frequently in the growing season so I need good drainage. Most potting mixtures have too much peat moss in the mix for good drainage. For seedlings, I use something kin to cactus potting soil - lots of coarse sand with perlite and some peat mixed in. Less problems with damping off and root rot.

Digs

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I like it for my outdoor containers but not for my indoor plants. I find it does keep them too wet. Am going to re-pot houseplants come Spring with the regular potting mix.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some hanging baskets that hang in full south facing sun. Usually the wire ones dry out almost every day in the summer. This year I figure I'll use some of the plastic ones that have the 'self watering' tray underneath. Do you think also using the moisture control soil will be overkill?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

The higher the zone, the better it is, and pretty much unsuitable for most in-door pot plants.

I like it for my most everything during the summer, when I need to water everything at least once a day. It's by no means a one size fits all type of product, but I'd highly recommend it for those in zone 8/9 or higher.

Chris

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I repotted 4 chrysanthemums last year--2 in a soil that I can't remember, and 2 in Miracle-Gro moisture control soil (It's supposed to protect from both under- and overwatering, and I figured I needed the help!). The two that I potted in the Miracle-Gro literally grew to twice the size of the other two. They were all kept outside.

Now I've recently repotted a peace lily and a purple passion vine with the Miracle-Gro, but they're indoor plants, so we'll see how they do! I'm nervous now that you guys have said that it doesn't work as well for indoor plants.

Kelly

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Last summer was the first that I was able to keep my full sun pots as well watered as they wanted and it was because of this formulation, I'm sure, since they were the same pots in the same places. I'm not a Miracle Grow believer but I love this stuff and just bought another 150 qts and more large pots. It was my first real success with outdoor pots, so I'm expanding my use of it.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well I AM a Miracle Grow believer. It's all I use in containers. You see the difference once and you'll never go back. And with all the glowing reviews I definitely think I'll give the moisture control a go this year on the south side of the house! :)

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Eco,
I can definitely tell the diff. too, especially in my outdoor containers. They stayed more moist during the hot summer.
But I don't think I'll use it on my houseplants again, as they stay too wet. My hand is just too heavy when it comes to watering- LOL!!

Lantana, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm so glad I've found others who love Miracle Gro potting soils as much as I do! I've used nothing else when repotting for years. It gives new babies a great boost and a healthier, more robust leg up in life, so to speak. I, too, am using the moisture retention formula for my new outdoor containers, especially gardenias and flowering plants that prefer it moist. South Florida in the summertime. Even in plastic pots and with extreme humidity potted plants get thirsty down here quick! I'm also using it in my hanging cocobasket experiments with passiflora and nematanthus corticola.

After the plants are established I prefer to use natural fertilizers on both my greenery and flowering plants. I foliar feed using a fish/seaweed based emulsion with micronutrients, supplement with compost tea. My grandmother taught me to use coffee grounds on acid loving plants, but instead of working into soil I steep them and pour this "twice brewed" coffee over the acid lovers every couple of weeks.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2005 9:08 AM

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

I started using it instead of the regular Miracle Gro because that's all there was. I found you have to be careful not to over water, especially if there are no drainholes because the plant rots.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the good advice.Coastal South Carolina has the same climate in the summer as south Florida.I am getting ready to pot up a climbing rose,don juan,because I am putting it in a place that has lots of live oak roots and the rose doesn't need the competition for moisture.After reading this thread I will buy the miracle gro moisture control.I usually use metro mix for pots but it dries out really quickly

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't used the enhanced MG mix, but I do add the "SoilMoist" polymer crystals to my potting mix for all my outdoor containers. It's just the thing for plants on my very sunny deck, keeps me from having to water more than once a day. I've also discovered that the crystals can help with overwatering too, as they will take up excess moisture from the soil. When I give a potted plant to anyone, I use the crystals as a sort of buffer to protect the plant against too much watering or too little! It worked really well with amaryllis bulbs this winter, especially during the initial period where the soil needs to be slightly moist but not soggy or the bulb will rot before the roots take off.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Because I compost my potting soil each season, the MG MC is perfect. Its moisture retaining ability comes from coir fiber as a component of the mix.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that! I was assuming it had the water absorbing crystals added. I've heard good things about coir fiber.

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

I have used this MG Moisture Control potting mix exclusively for starting tomato seedlings this spring, with good success. I found it was not quite as good as the seed starting mix from Garden Supply for germinating sees, but for the two next steps for the seedlings it has been excellent. I only bottom water so maybe that has something to do with the success.

Michael

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

Same here my Walmart didnt carry reg. Miracle Grow potting soil - they had the moisture control one, anyway started some seeds early to go outdoors -

This Miracle Grow soil must be contaminated, I have these little seedlings shooting up that are not the seeds i planted.
I potted up castor beans so far, and have started some tuber roses, and a potatoe vine and those two are not seeds.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had little weeds pop up in miracle gro mix (the regular kind) too. They're not a big problem, pretty easy to ID & pull out. I've been sterilizing the mix in the microwave for seed starting, and no little weeds so far in those flats.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Wow critterologist.....how clever using the microwave! Of course, I'm fairly new at this forum and am very happy to learn the little clever tips I read about every day. Thanks!

Lisa

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

check my "fire in the hole!" post before you try it!!

It's very important to wet the potting soil thoroughly! Dry potting mix catches fire!

Actually, adding water to the soil also makes steam, which is what does a good job of sterilizing the soil as well as a nice job of dampening your mix (even older ones that have become hard to wet).

I use a really huge tupperware bowl (big enough to make bread in) that fits in my microwave. Allow at least 1 cup of water for every quart of potting mix, more if it's very dry. Cover it, but leave a gap -- don't seal the lid. Nuke it long enough for steam to form (7 or 8 minutes for my big bowl). Seal the lid and let it stand 20 minutes or so. When it has cooled down, you're ready to go!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

You can also sterilize by soaking twice with boiling water.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks Critterologist and Mickgene. I tried the microwave sterilizing...no fires! whew - read your post AFTER I microwaved...but knew enough not to do it dry. OT Now, I don't have to worry about nurturing a seed I didn't plant into adulthood LOL. Okay I'm off to learn how to "nick" seeds.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

sterilizing will prevent diseases.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I haven't tried this Miracle Grow product, but I am very fond of Sunshine Watersaver mix. I buy it in 3.8 CF bags as Sunshine #7 mix. It has the polymers in it, as well. I live in an area that can get some very rainy times, so the polymers become the size of jello cubes, then shrink when it begins to dry out. It works very well for me. I really think the affectiveness of these polymers are directly related to the conditions one has to cope with. I find the polymer mixes are especially effective where watering is not regulated.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the tip Weezingreens (OT my brother lives in Anchorage...he loves it..says he'll never live anywhere else)

That's good to know since it usually doesn't rain all summer long where I live. Those polymers might be great for the days I don't get to water my containers. I'll have to try that...I'm learning so much I think I'm going to have to take notes! LOL

Where can you buy the sunshine water saver mix?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I found this on the web, but the freight would be a killer. I'd check around local garden centers. I don't think it is particular to the Northwest: http://www.hollywoodnorthhydroponics.com/Soil.htm Here's another place that sells Sunshine mixes in smaller bags: http://www.sungro.com/products_displayRetailProduct.php?product_id=77&brand_id=9

Thanks for the info but you are right the shipping is a killer.If you could find some chain store or something close to here.We do have farm suppy stores but I doubt if they carry this.I will call the garden centers.Thanks again

On your link it says "our Carolina plant " I wonder where that could be?

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Sunshine Mix can be bought around here in the local nurseries. I used some of the Miracle Gro moisture holding mix, but I prefer to use Pro-Mix which I've been using for 25 years. I add my own crystals to the mix when potting my containers. We don't get much rain during the summer, and we've had drought conditions for the last 4 or 5 years, so these crystals are lifesavers for me. I also use self-watering pots (not all, but a lot, especially hanging baskets and troughs for morning glories. The Miracle Gro didn't do as well as the Pro-Mix with added water crystals. But I can only get the Pro-Mix at one garden center near to me. Anything that can help keep my stuff watered during the hot summer months is a go in my book.

Mcpherson, KS

In late January I planted a patio tomato plant and some variety lettuce seeds in a self watering pot with the Miracle Gro moisture retaining potting medium. In 1 day the seeds had sprouted. In a week the tomato had grown almost 2 feet and the seeds were about 3" tall. Today, the tomato is about 5 1/2' tall covered w/blooms and about 18 tomatoes. I just water the pot when the water register is empty. We have not had a lot of sun where I live, but it is setting beside a large window. I love the potting soil. I am going to try it in hanging baskets for the summer. Being new to gardening, I haven't quite got the hang of watering every day, sometimes 2X in my gazebo and surrounding garden during the summer. Besides that, I still have to work to pay for the flowers, baskets, water, and dirt!

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

Watering your garden everyday and watering your houseplants every day are two different things.
I water my garden everyday from the time I plant after the last frost to Sept + depending on the weather. I live in Rhode Island so when Oct 1-21 arrives most of the flower bed and garden are dead.
The houseplants are still alive though.
From March 21st to the first day of Winter you need to water your plants 1-2 times a week. Check the soil to see if it dry and if it is water it. In the winter months until spring again, the general rule is once a week unless needed.
If you overwater you will kill them. Plants need air, water, and light to survive.
Good luck with your plants.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I *love* the water absorbing polymer crystals. I add them to my potting mix for every container! If not for them, I'd have to water the containers on my very sunny deck twice a day rather than once.

I've been paying for the fairly pricey 12 oz. containers of "Soil Moist" at my LGS, but this afternoon I ordered 10 pounds of crystals from http://www.watersorb.com/application.htm for only $55 with shipping! That's half price or better, and enough to last even me for several years. The guy I talked to was great, and he let me combine 2 sizes of crystals for the 10 pound price break.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

My DH got some polymer crystals from a local company that hydrates them in plastic bags and freezes them for shipping food items. They are food grade, so I should think they would be safe for plants. They buy these by the pallet load of 50 lb. bags. It would be interesting to see if they are the same as the garden variety. Sometimes a the same product used for different purposes can be quite different in price.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wonder if the polymer used for shipping food might be the cheaper kind used in baby diapers? I can't find the respective names of the two types of polymer at the moment (I'm thinking it was something like polyacrilymide for the "Soil Moist" kind and polyacrylate for the diaper kind?) but the baby diaper kind breaks down a lot faster.

You're right about price & market niche though.... I just paid $5 for a smallish box of diatomacious earth, which was plenty for my purposes, but I'm sure I could've bought a much bigger bag at a swimming pool supply store (it's used in filters). And consider those expensive "seedling light tables" in comparison to a DIY version with $8 shop lights from HD...

critterologist
I just used your link to order the 10lb size of the polymer crystals.Thanks for the info.
About size and price.I love shopping at costco.I can get large sizes of things that I use sometimes for almost the same price as the smaller amount at the local supermarket.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll be interested to see what you find out, Critter. Keep us posted. By the way, my DH got a quart ziplock bag of these polymers and added some to the soil when he was repotting a plant. A little goes a long way. That poor plant was surrounded by little 'jello cubes' the size of dice! LOL!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The Watersorb site has a good set of directions for how much polymer to use.... a little does go a long way! that's why I was willing to pay the higher price for the SoilMoist before I found this web site. The information on the different polymers was somewhere on the site, I just couldn't find it again...

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

I have been using Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting mix for tomato starts with excellent results, as I mention above.

tried "Schultz Moisture Plus Potting Mix" recently, and I guess you get what you pay for. not nearly as nice to work with as the MG stuff, and has large pieces of bark in it that you don't find in the MG mix. generally, the texture and consistency of this stuff is not nearly as nice as the MG.

OTOH, before posting this, did a GW search and found that the Schultz stuff can be gotten at Wally World for about $8 a 2 cu ft bag....for big containers it will probably be fine!

Michael

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.