Has anyone grown Wonga-Wonga vine?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have some seeds and want to know how hard they are to grow.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

My seed was easy to propagate. Vine was very hardy. I had to winterize it each year so I eventually traded it. Never bloomed (2 years) but the Foliage was nice. I planted flowers in the container.
Linda

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

okay i am gonna ask what is a wonga wonga vine???

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi,

It is also called Pandora's Vine- Wonga-wonga Vine

The Wonga-wonga vine, (Pandorea pandorana), is a fast-growing Australian native climbing plant. It can be found in eastern Australia from Queensland to Tasmania growing vigorously over tall trees. It is also a spectacular garden plant.

Details
Common name: Wonga-wonga vine

Botanic name: Pandorea pandorana. This name is derived from the legend of the Greek goddess Pandora, because of the similarity of the seed capsules to Pandora's Box.

Varieties: The species has heavy clusters of white, tubular flowers often tipped with purple dots. This form can be seen in bushland areas in eastern Australia. There are however several named varieties available including:

* 'Snow Bells' is a vigorous climber suited to screening. It has creamy white flowers in spring.

* 'Golden Showers' is a rich golden colour with brown tips to the flowers.

Other species: The other species, P. jasminoides, grows from the North Coast of New South Wales to Queensland and flowers almost continuously from August to January. There are several varieties of this species including, 'Alba', which has milky white flowers, and 'Rosea' which has a shell pink petals with a crimson throat.

Best climate: The wonga-wonga vine grows well in all parts of Australia but needs a warm micro-climate in the colder mountain areas. P. jasminoides needs a warmer climate and grows well in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and Townsville and in warm microclimates in Adelaide and Melbourne.

Description: The wonga-wonga vine has a profusion of flowers in early spring and is a dense evergreen creeper all year round. The only drawback to the wonga-wonga vine is its brief flowering time. It flowers only for two to three weeks in spring (between early August and October depending on its location).

Growing conditions: The wonga-wonga vine prefers an open, sunny position and a mild climate without heavy frosts. It will tolerate light shade. Train the twining stems in the early stages of growth. Light pruning is desirable after flowering to maintain a tidy shape. It needs little other care other than water in dry times.

Best uses: It is an ideal choice to clothe a fence or wall, disguise a shed or stump or simply create an evergreen screen.

--

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for reminding me. I bought variegated seeds off ebay that I need to plant.
:) Donna

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

variegated Wonga seeds -that sounds pretty.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here's the picture of it.

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

oh cool and wonderful descrpition. thanks

the pic is cool too. off to look at ebay. cant seem to stay away from there. :}

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Me neither...lol.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Donna

Where did you get the seeds?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Off ebay. I got them from seller Garden Dreamery. I checked and she doesn't have any listed for sale but if you just want a few to try and I can do that.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Perennialgirl-
The plant you have in your picture is the P. jasminoides.

The wonga wonga vine is P. pandoreana. The pink trumpet vine is P. ricasiolana, and P. brycei.
Wonga vine flowers are different than the jasminoides.

It is somewhat easy to grow, but best over wintered indoors, if not in zone 8/9 or higher.
-T

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Seedpicker for letting us know.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

I bought some Wonga Wonga seeds last October from an eBay seller (13 seeds) and the instructions said to put them in the fridge for 4-6 weeks. I put them in, but didn't take them out until late April (was looking for sterilized seed compost which I later found out I didn't really need, any would do) for planting. I have them outside on the back uncovered patio next to the wall of our house in plastic Dixie cups, and the seeds are just barely beneath the soil. I've been watering them just enought to keep the soil damp every day and the weather here has been very sunny, humid and 85 degrees. Am I doing ok? Will these germinate or have I destroyed them?

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

They germinated and are about 6 inches tall now so nevermind! :)

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

makshi - were you ever able to get yours to germinate? Here's a pic of mine from yesterday ...

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I had one of these for years, it had a big stem the size of a shower curtain rod, and it bloomed twice the whole time. I pitched it over the lake bank, where it is happily growing, but no blooms. It will freeze this winter. If it fails to bloom for me, out it goes, to make room for vines that WILL bloom reliably!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Well it appears as though it will still be a beautiful green-leafed vine so to me, that's ok. Also because I've got mine mixed in with a Corkscrew so ... rare blooms are fine. :)

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8a)

I tried the Pandora vine hoping it would cover my arbor. It grew well but refused to flower---it got afternoon sun only. I'm now trying to find a replacement vine that will overwinter in place (rather than having to take cuttings) and will bloom well in partial shade. I'd love fragrance too. Any ideas? I'm considering hyacinth bean, but I really don't want to have to replant every spring.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Some of the clematis would do very well and some will take quite a bit of shade. Pink Jasmine will also take a bit of shade and is evergreen, at least it is here. Passion vines will take some shade. An evergreen clematis would work well I would think and they have outrageous fragrance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.