need advice as to where to buy Populus deltoides

Kissimmee, FL

Actually we are looking to buy 8 of these trees a hybrid of
populus deltoides x populus nigra

We live in central Florida and need a windbreak in our back yard badly. We have vibirnum but they are not enough. Any grower that is reputable would be greatly apprecaited. BEV

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Don't use the hybrid. Go our this week and take some broomstick-sized dormant cuttings from vigorous stems or suckers of native P. deltoides found in your local area (or you might have to drive north toward Tallahassee if you're south of their range). Trim off any side branches, shove the basal ends a couple of feet into the ground, soak them good if the soil isn't already saturated, and they should root by the end of winter. (Of course, I suppose y'all don't even know what "winter" is down there, do ya?)
Guy S.

Kissimmee, FL

Just bought 8 poplars from Grower in Nebraska will ship in March any suggestions for ways to make sure they grow well and fast. I am in zone 9 Orando Fl. They will be near brick wall that is five feet high and is on the south side of the back yard. We need them for a wind screen badly. I have maples sycamore and camphors plus Norlfolk Island pines now with fruit trees. All have done well. Only Norfolks will be in the same area as these
Advice Thanks

BEV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.