Green Phalaenopsis

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I currently have two green phals open. Not the brightest colour in the world, but unique I guess. This one is Sogo Diana...I was told it was yellow! The person must habe been colour blind.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I like this one better...its called Misty Green (at least I knew what I was getting in this one!)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Well... it looks a little yellow, maybe it's just the camera though. Your closeup is gorgeous, the phal is so shimmery.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Believe me, they are certainly not yellow in my books! The second one is more yellowish than the first, but it was the first that was suppose to be yellow...I knew the second one was suppose to be greenish, but the cross said, 'expect some large yellows'. Guess I got the reject! Still a nice orchid however.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Interesting! The left flower on the Sogo Diana is slightly greenish yellowish on my monitor.
Are they scented?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sogo Diana opens more yellowish-green then fades to pale apple-green. Neither are scented. As a rule, most phals are not scented.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

"As a rule, most phals are not scented",
unless they are hybrids with Phal. amboinensis (I read) , bellina/violacea ( I have) and a few others. Looking at the parentage of Misty Green, here is a terrific site, tracing it back to amboinensis. See paragraph Bamboo Baby and following.
http://www.bedfordorchids.com/yellow_phal_breeding_-_pt__ii.htm

I looked up Sogo Diana, not fragrant but a real beauty. You got gorgeous plants here.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I agree that some are fragrant....I used to have P. violacea and it was nicely scented. The scented phals are mostly small-flowered novelty types. Most of the large-flowered complex hybrids have lost the fragrance.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Wouldn't it be cool if the green were green apple scented? I know, I think a little strange sometimes....;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.