American Alligator

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

One of the few creatures that had existed on this earth in excess of 200 plus million years is the American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis).

In the same family but distinctly different from the Indian Gavial (Gavialis gangeticus) and the Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus), the Gator has staged
a stunning comeback from the possibility of extinction.

In its current range covering almost all of Florida, parts of Georgia and South Carolina, the Gator switches back and forth at ease between bodies of freshwater,
saltwater and brackish water.

On a cold January morning (42 Deg. F), they are sunning on the banks of a huge fenceless lake behind my office.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2005 9:36 PM

Thumbnail by Thaumaturgist
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

That's some sight. Hopefully you used a 1000mm lens to take this picture !!! What an incentive to work through lunch versus going outside for a short walk and some fresh air. They look so peaceful .... yea !!!

What is the estimated Alligator population in the areas that you mentioned ?

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Fantastic. I would love the chance to see and photograph any Crocodilians in the wild (from a safe distance). I have the odd picture of very small Estuarine Crocodiles on the Daintree River in Northern Queensland, Australia, but although on a crocodile watching trip, we did not see any of any size and didn't get a very good look at those we did see.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

The Digital Camera used had 10X Optical Zoom.
The place is inside the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, a pristine Florida flatland full of all kinds of wildlife. I hope to bring their photos here to share with you all.
Here Gators are everywhere, and so are wild boars, snakes, Bobcats, Otters, Peacocks and of course, local and migratory birds of all varieties.

Here is a close-up from my car's window, the object being about 6 ft away.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

cool shots Thaum

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Early evening in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge in Florida.
It is the time when Bobcats, Possums, Deers, Racoons, Wild Boars and others come to this pristine body of water for drinks.
This medium-size Alligator, already a master in the art of floating totally motionless in the dead calm of a windless evening,
waits patiently for that opportune moment . . . . . . . . .

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

This is possibly the closest I could go, staying inside the relative safety of my car. This gigantic one was basking on a warm
April early afternoon on the shore of the lake next to my office.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

T - the last one looks like he is sleeping. (You probably could have got closer, LOL) What great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Those 2 beady eyes...........
This is the standard posture of an Alligator in the water. In an incredible act of balance and buoyancy, an Alligator allows only the 2 eyes to be barely visible while waiting for prey.
This one is in a drainage ditch inside the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge in Florida. Picture was taken by standing on top of the culvert almost right above the Alligator's head, a mere 4 ft away on a May afternoon. Note the little Minnows hanging around the Alligator's mouth for scrap food.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

I went to the Everglades Park eons ago and was fascinated by the gators. The Anhingas and Strangler Figs were exotic too. At night I found the local raccoons adept at raiding campers. The next night I took thier picture. Looking out at the snow I remember that Feb. more than 30 yrs ago. I have told DW I want to spend 1 winter w/o seeing any snow. Leave here in Nov. and come back in March. (Still waiting for "Global Warming") Frank

(Zone 8b)

Great shots, i'm jealous, but releived we don't have them in our backyard!

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

The American Alligator is known for its fierce territorial behaviour. Although this lake is packed with them, of all sizes of male and females, I had hardly noticed any case of severe injury.

Until this one.

On a bright, sunny January afternoon, this Alligator was noticed showing a decidedly favored rear left leg as it came out of the water. It then postured itself on the slope of the lake with the injury facing the sun.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thaum great pictures, I have never been that close to one and am not sure I would want to be. Donna

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

In a drainage ditch inside the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Florida, a juvenile catches some sun in an otherwise cold January late afternoon waiting to catch some prey.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thaumaturgist,
Thanks for the wonderful alligator pictures. My grandson and I really enjoyed them.
Patti

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you.
You are very welcome. I hope that I can bring some more.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Thaumaturgist we spent an afternoon at MIWF last April and it was a day I will never forget. The trees lining the road to the drive-thru were filled with ibis, egrets, herons and anhingas. We saw more gators than I ever thought possible. Rosette Spoonbills were just across the marsh. I wanted to be tied to the front of the car so I wouldn't miss anything! One place where you could get out and walk we heard the biggest splashing and thrashing in the swamp just 20 or so feet away from us. We never saw anything but could only think that it was a big gator. We even spotted a nest of baby gators with momma watching close by.

The best part was at almost the end of the drive where a big pond was with every bird imaginable in its breeding plumage basking in the sun and along comes a huge wild boar out of the woods. Words cannot describe the absolute pleasure that visit was. I cannot help but wonder what it is like after all the storms last fall.

I also like to go to Halover Canal which is just north and east of the refuge. I just love that area of FL. Thanks for the sweet memories on another after the snow storm morning.
--Joy

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Joyous
I consider myself privileged to be able to work inside and around the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Since the more pristine sections have very restricted access for the general public, I would try my best to bring more images of wildlife here
to share with you all.

So, please bear with me. More coming . . . . . . . . .

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Thaumaturgist I am curious about the BIG gator at the visitor center at the refuge. While we were walking on the boardwalk a very big gator strolled through the brush right under us. No railings or fences just this big gator on his daily rounds? Is he kind of a celebrity at the visitor center?

This is the best we could do for a photo of the big guy!

Joy

Thumbnail by Joyous
Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

As I came out of the office this afternoon, I was rewarded with the presence of this 4 ft baby Alligator in the nearby ditch, about 20 ft away. As it patiently posed for about 40 minutes and 25 shots, I slowly but gradually came from 20 ft to about 4 ft. This is my last shot before he swam away into the water.

As I headed back to my car, I noticed his object of affection about 30 ft away in the same ditch.
A Great White Egret.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

And here is the Egret. This is the closest I got before it flew away.

Chico, CA

Here's mine....

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha, ha, ha.

Modi'in, Israel

LOL

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a giant resting on a small spoil island in the middle of a Mangrove swamp in the Black Point Wildlife Refuge in Titusville, Florida.
I was just getting ready to get out of the car to get some closer shots and came heavy rain.
Shot through the car window on a February late afternoon.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is the close-up (I mean it) of the side of the head of a monster basking in the late afternoon sun in March in the lake
next to the parking lot of my office in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

It was sunning in the backyard of a home on the shores of Lake Rowena, Orlando, Florida. As I cautiously
and slowly attempted to approach, it retreated into the lake almost immediately.

About 2 hours later, I found it by accident on a shallow section on another part of the lake. Unfortunately this is
the closest shot that I could have.

From hundreds of Alligators in this lake, how could I be so definite that this was the same one I had been looking
for?

The front left leg is missing.

Victim of a possible territorial struggle. Photo taken in March.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

These things happen! He doesn't look like a happy camper.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Business as usual.
The wading birds seem to be oblivious to the presence of a mid-size Alligator only a few feet away, sunning on the bank
of a lake behind the parking lot of my office. Photo taken on a March afternoon.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

Modi'in, Israel

yeah, well he's not hidden and they have wings! You certainly wouldn't find ME that close! LOL

-Julie

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Enlightening thread, you captured some wonderful shots from your safety zone!

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

I found this giant in the light of the setting sun on a cold January late afternoon in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Thaumaturgist - We've visited Merritt Island and loved it - would like to go back some day. GREAT pics of these bad boys......

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

..........and bad girls too.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

This is one of the favorite postures of the Alligators in the swamp, floating in the shallow waters in the grass beds.
This photo was taken this afternoon in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

It sunk the rest of the body as soon as it saw me get out of the car on a rainy March afternoon in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I like that shot!

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

I got little more ambitious this time and got out of the car keeping the door open, just in case. Distance between me
and the Alligator was about 10 ft. Photo taken on a March afternoon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.