my favorite camelia

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My favorite camelia is blooming. I love the variegation on the flower.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

My fav Camellia japonica is 'Daikagura Variegata'

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/269905a1fb059eb48825683c0080938a/6c06a52c322ef6328825684d0070be4d!OpenDocument

similiar to yours, but a little different

(Edited....yours is lovely....from your yard?)

This message was edited Feb 7, 2005 9:06 PM

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, it is from my yard. That one does look kind of like mine, but it is very lovely.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

has any one had luck with camilias in zone 6 I know there are some that are out there now that claim to he hardier has any one tried them ? I would love to try one they are so beautiful!
laura

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

How beautiful! I've never tried Camelias, but someone sent me a few seeds for the White Camelia. Does anyone know how I'd go about started them? Germination info would be very helpful if anyone knows anything about that!

(Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to ask, but when I saw your photos I just couldn't resist!)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Laura,

I remember going to a local nursery and seeing a 5 foot tall camelia blooming. I asked the owner if this could grow in our zone 6. He assured me that they do sell them for our climate.
I never thought to get the name and cultivar.

Linda

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Linda ,
I just got my catalog from Forest Farm and they have 2 listed as zone 6! I can't wait I will have to think about where to plant it or them : )
Laura

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lisa, it's beautiful - thanks for sharing. We would love to have one here, but I have had no luck in starting cuttings. We don't see them for sale in our area.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a page that will tell what can grow in zone 6:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/camelli1.html

Sequee, I do not know about seeds. Like Kay I was not successful with cuttings. I asked the GW trader if he could root me one since I failed and he never wrote back.

Nuccio Nursery in Pasadena states:
Growing Camellias from cuttings

Cuttings are collected during the beginning of summer (end of June,
beginning of July) and put into 50% peat moss 50% perlite in
greenhouses under misting systems. Cuttings usually root in 3 months.

After 2-4 more months rooted cuttings are transplanted into 2-inch
pots and stay there for 6-9 months. Plants in 2-inch pots should be
watered every 3-4 days depending on weather. The potting mix used is
3/2/1 peat moss/topsoil/perlite.

Then young plants are transplanted into 4-inch pots and stay there
for another 6 months to a year. Sometimes young plants are moved
directly into #1 containers.

Then plants are transplanted into #1 containers and stay there for
2-3 years. At that moment they are available for sale.

Some of plants are transplanted into #5 containers and stay there for
another 2-3 years. Tom Nuccio recommends for hobby growers to
transplant from #1 to #2 containers before transplanting to #5. Some
of the slow growing sasanquas, like Shishi-Gashira, are transplanted
from #2 containers to #3 containers.

Plant fertilization schedule is every 6-8 weeks from April through
September using Cottonseed Meal, chemical fertilizer Pete Light
20-10-20 or Fish Fertilizer. Convenient fertilization dates to
remember are Easter, 4th of July and Labor Day.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Laura,
I don't know if you get the daily newsletter from DG but they had a zone 6 camellia in todays letter.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/62099/

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks ! I am still putting my order together for forest farm. I ordered one called winters interlude its beautiful! I can't wait for spring we just got another 10 inches of snow over night. It will take a lot of melting to expose my garden! I am patheticly looking through books and catalogs, champing at the bit
laura

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Two other online places you can find camellias are at: Camellia Forrest Nursery out of one of the Carolinas and Greer Gardens in Eugene, OR. Both are in the Garden Watchdog.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I second dottik's recommendation of Camellia Forest. Be sure to check out their online or paper catalog. They are in Chapel Hill, NC, about 2 1/2 hr. from us. We have come back a couple of times with a lot of the truck bed full of their camellias. They grow great plants, and are very knowledgeable, with personal roots in southeast asia, and real botanaical savvy. If you look on their weabsite, you will see many of the cultivars that have been specifically bred for colder climates, out of one or 2 breeding programs focusing on that need.

rylaff -
What is the name of the camellia you started the thread with? Maybe Imissed it -- it looks identical to one I just bought. It's dark out, so I'll have to wait
'til tomorrow to check the name, but I would recognize it.

Peter

This message was edited Mar 13, 2005 9:40 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

What a beautiful camellia. I just started a thread under the Photos forum for everyone to share pictures of their camellias. If you have any more pictures, please share them at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491064/

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Not sure. I bought the camelia a couple of years ago from a small nursery. It was the end of the season and the tag had faded so I never learned the name. I think it must be grafted. All the ones near the bottom are pure red.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.