How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The older thread had too many posts, taking too long to pull up and needed to be updated anyway. So let's start off fresh!!!

We're small fry compared to most of you since we only have a 6x6 Goldfish pond made of landscaping timbers and construction grade black plastic for a liner. We've had it for 7 years and had to replace the liner once, when the English Bulldogs decided to take a swim, their toenails made a couple small holes.

In addition, we have 2 approximately 3x5 black oval containers used for feeding cattle which we start off each spring with a new batch of fish and plants. We got these at the feed store for about $30 and they make great little ponds to sit on the porch.

Let us know who you are and post pictures PLEASE!!!.

Thanks,

Judy

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yay- this thread loads! lol.

Our "feature pond" is in the front yard- we used an old swimming pool as the liner- don't know how many gallons it holds- it drops down to about knee deep in the center. Right now this is the only pond that looks close to "nice". All the others are a work in progress or are just to hold water/fish/plants.
Here's a picture before the water cleared-

I'll try and get a better picture later.

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

50 gallon Pond- Yes, the edges and border look terrible I know, lol.
Should have more green around it this year.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

50 Deep- Don't mind my mess- mum's already gotten me for it once, hehe.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

My grandmothers pond- see how much nicer it is than ours, LOL! (hers is younger too!)

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I have two pre formed ponds one kidney shaped with a plant ledge and one smaller one.
Compare to my friends ponds in my neighborhood they look like puddles and theirs look like swimming pools.LOL Sothat is what I usually refer to mine as my puddles full of fish ,frogs and plants. Celeste

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Even a puddle can be an oasis!

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I don't have any good pics of my entire ponds, but here's a few of last year's blooms.

This is waterlily 'Blue Beauty'...

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a dwarf that I have growing in a large tub; I don't know the name of this one.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2005 7:35 PM

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

Won't be starting up our ponds till the end of April, begining of May as it is under 4 feet of snow.
I have 2 large ponds with goldfish and waterlilies and other water plants, but fish are in a tank the basement, waterlilies in the spare fridge..
Loved all the pond pictures..

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Indi- those are beautiful!!

We will be waiting for your spring pictures Pickle!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

here's my pond.

Thumbnail by daylily970
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

here's another view of it.

Thumbnail by daylily970
Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

We have a pre-formed pond. Just put it in last summer. It has a small waterfall. But we love it. It is true, you always want to go bigger!

Thumbnail by celia
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Absolutely stunning daylily!

Celia, that pond almost looks like it was put there by God, lol. It looks really deep too. :-O
A waterfall is our next big pond thing. Shopping around now for the best prices. Ya'll give me hope! LOL

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

crimsontsavo......Noooo, it's not deep only about 24" with shelves. Actually it was put in by a recovering alcoholic.....he needed the work. He did a great job! thanx for the compliment! We still have the pump going even though it's freezing temps! Just have to keep breaking the ice! We took our fish out and the (designer) is holding them over the winter. (in fish tanks in his home) We'll get them back in Spring. Our pond is one of the best things we've ever done! I recommend it to everyone, whether it's small or large! The sound of water is very comforting and smoothing, kinda like a Zen thing.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow Celia-

Well, it gives the illusion of a deep pond- so that's good!

Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

Pond from last summer

Thumbnail by dillpickle
Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

Here is another view.

Thumbnail by dillpickle
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Everyone's ponds are so pretty.Even a little pond can be beautiful. Here is a picture of my bathtub pond. It is'nt good for fish because it gets so hot since it is made of iron.

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

We put this pond in last September. It is about 12,000 gallons. On the upper left is a "bog" area that, hopefully, act as a biological filter. This pictire was taken in October 2004. This winter we added lots of rocks and built a bi-level pondside deck and a fireplace that is right up against the pond.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2005 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Beautiful ponds!!!! Maybe more people will post pictures if I bump this up to the top. I love the old cast iron tub idea. I have a small one I may plant this spring. Most of the critters couldn't get into it!!!

Judy

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll post more pictures when the ponds green up- they look kind of sad right now, hehe.

ShadowGirl- is there any way you can fix the pixels in that tub pond picture? It looks stunning like it is but would really be good to see it clearly.

I'm amazed everytime I see peoples ponds- they look so good and give me lots of ideas!

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

CS-This one is clearer.

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

WOW! That's just beautiful. Thank you.

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

CS, thanks! It is a pretty cool looking water feature. The only problem I have had using metal type containers is mosquitoes. I have to be twice as alert to make sure it does not turn into a skeeter incubator. lol

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Is it fish safe? You could drop several Mosquito Fish in there. Or maybe a couple commet goldfish.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

shadowgirl – your picture is such an inspiration. You are so talented. You absolutely have to be a professional designer!!!!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy is right!
I keep coming back to look at that picture, LOL. Hoping my pond will look that good this year.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I got one, itty bitty one, but I luvs it...

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Post pictures! LOL Even itty bitty ponds are loads of fun. I made one outta trash bags last year. It's really small too, hehe.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

There is no such thing as a pond too small to be beautiful. Even though we always want one bigger, right ?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yup, bigger is always better with ponds, LOL.

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

The little ponds can be so charming and look wonderful in a secret garden. But.......when you go to build a pond, figure out how big you want it, then triple it. lol

Thank you all for the compliments. I had a garden design business but have pretty much abandoned it to start on a new career path. Now I just design for myself, family, and friends.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I have two preformed ponds, and 3 whiskey barrel ponds, as well as one small pond I made witha waterbed liner. AND I'm getting ready to dig a pond about 8 x 10 with a waterfall and maybe a stream too. I love ponding! It's so easy!

NancyAnn

San Manuel, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is our small Koi Pond, we are in the process of "re-decorating" it.....
Enjoy it so much, but need plants. Any suggestions where I can order some.
We live in Southern AZ and kept our Koi and Goldfish in it all winter, with the help of a heater.

Thumbnail by madelyn65
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Madelyn, check the aquatic plant thread in the plant trade forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482066/

Your pond looks like it is off to a pretty start!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Here is our pond. We designed and built it ourselves one Easter weekend 4 years ago. We absolutely love it. We knew we wanted a pond, but had no idea how much enjoyment we would get out of it! It changes every year, and we knew ahead of time to make it large... so, no we would not make ours bigger. We even added the second waterfall just before start time!

mel

Thumbnail by TXMel
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, maybe a closer pix would be nice, huh? Sorry.

Thumbnail by TXMel
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh how wonderful!!!

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.