Anybody have any experience chitting seed potatoes?

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I've read that on the island of Jersey off the coast of England they are known for their fine early produce. Apparently they chit potatoes in order to get a head start and be the first to market with tender baby new potatoes. In my pantry, there is half a bag of organic russets sprouting like crazy and I thought I might give chitting a try. Any advice? As an aside, I know some folks around here with the last name of Chitwood. I can only guess the name came down from their ancestors who possibly worked with plants.

If they have sprouted they have already chitted, unfortunately it might be a bit soon considering your zone but someone with experience of your zone or region might be better placed to tell you more.

Jersey potatoes (Jersey Royals) are a specific early variety and the island of Jersey is quite warm, they aren't an easy cultivar even here in South Coast England.

As far as chitting is concerned, here int he UK we lay the seed potatoes out in egg trays with the 'rose' end upwards (part with the most eyes) and keep them cool but frost free in the light but not direct sun.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Here on the GA coast, we plant potatoes around Feb 14th. I plant according to the almanac for root crops. I'll tell you how I do it, although that may not be the exact way to do it. I did have a great crop of potatoes the last time I planted them though.

I buy seed potatoes at the feed and seed store. It seems like I bought Red Pontiac last time. I cut a big chunk out around the "eye" (about 1 inch deep). I let them scab over before I plant them in the ground. I leave them outside on my screened in porch on my picnic table until a scab forms, usually in a several (3 or 4) days. I only plant my potatoes 2 inches deep instead of what it usually calls for. I have better luck with that depth and they come up faster, too. Be sure to plant with the "eye" facing up. I space mine every 12 inches, and I plant mine in hilled up rows.

Baa, thanks for that information. I find it fascinating. I had no idea about Jersey Royals being a specialty variety. Yes, of course it's a bit soon for me here, but I like to experiment and may try an egg tray or two. Thanks for clarifying chitting. Somehow thought it was more than just sprouts but involved actual leaves. Good to learn something new.
Pete2, your method sounds good. Usually I get in a hurry and plant mine right after cutting and a little deeper than that. Then I wait and wait and dig in to check them wondering why they are taking so long to show their first leaves above ground. It would seem I need to work on my patience.
Thank you both for your feedback, much appreciated.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Since it's nearing that time, if anyone has pictures to show just what chitting, callusing, etc. looks like here are some Garden Terms entries that could use pictures (and if someone would like to do a step-by-step pictorial of cutting up and drying seed potatoes, that woudl be great, too! ;o)

Chitting: http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/170.html
Chit: http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/2352.html
Eye: http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/320.html
Callus: http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/143.html

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My great uncle always planted on St. Patricks Day, so I do the same. That applies to zone 6 though!

My in-laws used to talk about getting their "irish" potatoes in the ground by St Patrick's day, but they were life long residents of South Georgia. It seems a bit early here in zone 6b with the ground still being very cold and wet and still many freezing days ahead.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Here in zone 5 I plant my potatoes when the ground feels warm. That is usually about Mother's Day. By the time they come up we are past the last frost. A mulch of leaves or straw will protect them if the weather turns cold after they come up, but I don't leave it on because I want the sun to warm the soil. One year I mulched for a late frost and left the mulch on, they grew very slowly. We learn from our mistakes, but it is better to learn from somebody else's mistakes and not have to make them ourselves.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine go in on or around March 1st..have always had good crops.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.