Clematis fruticosa

Hampshire, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi,

I'm located in England in the UK and mostly interrested in Clematis. I have a collection of about 50 different plants and presently want to concentrate on the basic small flowerd species rather than the large flowered hybrids.

One I have been looking for for some time now is C. fruticosa. Its some times called "Mongolian Gold" and is not available in the UK or as far as I can find in Europe.

If any Vine Grower has seed of this species please let me know, seed can be sent by air mail without any regulation problems but plants are subject to severe restrictions for shipment to the UK. I will also post this note on the seed trading section.

Thanks,

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

hi jack- don't know if this could be helpful, but i noticed that clematis fruticosa is listed on the North American Rock Garden Society (NARGS) seed exchange- they have a fabulous seed exchange of very unusual garden and wild collected seed, and it is worth it to become a member for that reason alone maybe-anyway, they have a website, and the exchange is open to non-members after a certain time. sj

Hi Sj,
Yes I joined NARGS but unfortunately they were out of C. fruticosa but I did get some interesting seed from them. I will keep trying to get fruticosa. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
Jack

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

good luck, jack- i'm a clematis fiend myself, so i'll keep an eye out for you-sjms

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

The only Clematis I have with small flowers is Autumn Clematis. If you need this one, I may have seed from last fall. LKM
JanetS

Hi Janet,

Can you describe Autumn Clematis, we probably call it by a different name?
Jack

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Jack,
There are several pictures of it in the plants database, I just typed in sweet autumn clematis and it pulls right up. It has small white flowers that smell "sweet" and blooms in autumn, or here usually in August or September.
Let me know if you would like some and I will search through my seeds and see if I have some to send to you.
JanetS

Hi JanetS,

Thanks for the info, the search of the plant database is useful. I see that your clemats is C. terniflora, I have some seed of it from another seed exchange. If my seed do not come thru I will get back to you. Thanks for the offer.
Jack

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You are quite welcomed! Good luck with the seed. Mine come up everywhere so perhaps you won't have any problem getting them to grow.
God bless!
Janet

I am pleased to report that I have just managed to get some clematis fruticosa seed. Thanks for the helpful replies.
Regards,
Jack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.