Part of the collection

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here's a sampling of my orchids that are currently blooming. No special growing area, just a coffee table placed directly in an east window. Here's proof that just about anyone could grow orchids if they really wanted to. My growing conditions are cool to intermediate in this area so I grow mostly Oncidium alliance. I'm glad that many bloom in mid-winter as it will be months before anything blooms outside.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

You are too modest, your plants are beautiful.You do need to know what you are growing, and as you said in a different way, match the plants somewhat with your growing conditions.

But you are correct, you don't need a fancy greenhouse to grow Orchids. Before I had one, I used to take my very large Vanda and a bunch of others every night into the bathroom and soaked the roots over the bathtub. Once the plants quit dripping I placed them back into their window spot. Other plants were simply watered over trays.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

They all look so great!! And healthy! And pretty! But I would have expected the great Todd Boland to have a big high tech orchid green house!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I only wish! I only have 36 orchids in the collection...that's enough to keep me busy. If I had a greenhouse, I'd have to move into it!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Wow! Those are incredible. I noticed you have a zygopedilum in your collection. I have the same plant and am having a hard time finding information on how to care for it. Any suggestions? Btw, 36 orchids is an impressive collection! Do you use lights for your orchids?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Which is the one on the right, with the blue or purple bell flowers? I LOVE how it looks, with flowers all over.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That's a Dendrobium kingianum. Here's a closer pic.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

So pretty!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

They are all beautiful, but I like the oncidiums best. What is the reddish one lower left?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The red one is Burrageara Living Fire 'Redman'. Here's a link:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/63808/index.html

You have a gorgeous collection of orchids. Very impressive. I'm just getting into orchids and have some repeat blooms forming on a few. Hopefully they'll survive.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Todd, how did you encourage your Dendrobium to bloom? I purchased an unlabeled Dendrobium Orchid on sale, several years ago at the Baltimore Conservatory. Unfortunately, it has never bloomed! The leaves are certainly healthy, but no flower spikes. Any growing tips on Dendrobiums would be greatly appreciated.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Shirley, first I need to know what type of Dendrobium you have. There are many different ones, some need warm conditions, others cold; some wet, some dry. If you could let me know, I'll see what I can find for you.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow!, that's really impressive. What are they eating? Your foliage is so rich.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I wish I could answer your questions, Todd, but I don't know! Hand written on the tag was the word Dendrobium, nothing else! Would you be able to venture an educated guess if I took a picture of it or is that looking for the "needle-in-a-haystack"?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Shirley1md,
Hiya,
have a look at this website, I'm not sure how to do the hyperlinks yet. But this guy has an amazing and encyclopaedic website....complete with photos that might give you a hand at ID.

www.orchidspecies.com

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Try a picture...some are quite distinctive. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.