Pruning "Snowqueen" Hydrangea

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted a Snowqueen Hydrangea last year and it's still a piddly little plant. Basically, with no leaves, it's 3 straight sticks stuck in the ground. I was wondering about branching in this shrub. Do I need to encourage those straight shoots to branch off by removing the tip of each branch, or do I just leave them and let the plant send up new shoots from the ground to fill it out? Thanks!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking you mean the oakleaf hydrangea called snow queen- some pruning here and there might be good for increased branching- since their shape is more amorphous and blob-like than the vase shaped paniculatas--at some point it will just take off and grow in any case, probably. They really do take a couple of years to come into their own. Here in New Hampshire, the oakleaf hydrangeas don't do as well as in warmer zones, but I don't think that's a problem for your area.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2005 4:25 PM

Tiverton, RI

I don't have toworry about prunning my oak leaf hydrangea, Bambi took care of that for me!!!!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

I have a SnowQueen and it is a very slow growing oakleaf. I've had mine for two seasons now and it gets a little bigger each year and puts on a wonderful show of color in fall, but I have problems getting mine to bloom with our cold winters.

Oakleaf hydrangeas don't need a lot of pruning. I'd leave it alone and just let it grow.

Lynne

Thumbnail by lmelling
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have two and love them..they bloom beautifully and i never prune...if it is necessary, just prune what will take it back to your desired size but they really should be allowed to do their thing.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much :) I haven't touched it, yet, and sounds like I won't be doing anything at all! Thanks :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.