Has anyone received the Wayside Cat.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I received my yesterday. THere were so many things that I just loved in it. I wondered how close to the picture do these thing really look. I have fallen in love with the heuchera. Are there seeds for these?

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

honibee, i got the catalog yesterday. i have lime rickey, sunspot, and amber waves, they look like mine. i put beauty color on my list to get. i like tricyrtis raspberry mouse and hart's tonque fern. belinda

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Belinda,

I love foliage plants that are diff. I really have to have a couple of the coral bells. They are a bit pricey I think for a three inch pot.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I recieved mine on Saturday.I could spent a couple of hundred $.I won't.I'l wait for their great sales.I know I won't get their new introductions but I'm sure that next year they will be more affordable.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Down,

I know I could spend a fortune but won't either. They do have some great things.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I received it and am very tempted but I have received some bad plants from them so I think I'll pass.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I too received the Wayside catalog, and I may order . On my extra cover says 'Aspecial Gift to Welcome you Back' it is at $10.18 check of course to be used for something out of their catalog. I haven't order for a couple of years because as some of you said their things are kind of spendy, but they do have a good selection. Donna

Indianapolis, IN

I have successfully grown heuchera from seed. You can get seeds online from Park Seeds.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I tend to use Wayside as a shopping guide- do I like it? Will it grow in my area? Then I go to a local place to buy. They may not have the exact variety, but many of Wayside's plants are available from other retailers.

Susan K

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. They do have beautiful pictures.
Like Susan, I use it for reference. I think their prices are very high.

Sonnia

sign up for their on line news letter.At the very tail end of the season they have some incredible rose sales.I have ordered some for 2 years now and although they are bare root and are late in the season most of them have done really well.If they don't they will refund your money noquestions asked for a year.I am talking $3 for a rose that was $15.They have lots of other sales too thoughout the season.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thinks for the info.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I also get their catalog. I have bought from them several times although I am always disappointed in the size for what I paid. However, the plants always grow and I have been happy with them by the end of the season, so, the question is, can you get it somewhere else cheaper? I would never pay their full price. Sign up for their email and go for the sales only.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I got Wayside's also. I have a check attached to use in an order also. I want a rose or two from them and am still waiting on my Mexican Anise (for 3 years).

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

You ordered Mexican Anise 3 years ago, paid for it, and still waiting?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have never seen this catalog before but when you all mentioned it I looked it up online and ordered one for me. Since I am new to all of these kind of plants I was wondering how to know if something is reasonably priced. For example, they have the Iceplant Starburst for $6.26 for a 3 inch pot. Isn't that sort of small? I'm just trying to learn how to know what is a good price or not. The plant that I fell in love with is the Japanese Painted Fern Ursula's Red. It is beautiful. But is it worth $12.95 for a 3 inch pot? I would love to have this plant but I don't know what a good price is. What do you all think?

JesseK

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Jesse K,
In my opinion both of the examples you gave are HIGH prices for small plants. These are not uncommon plants and should be available at larger garden centers or good nurseries. Also when you buy in person, you save shipping charges and can be sure of a healthy plant...:) Just my thoughts,
Jamie
ps. I like both of those plants, and have the fern in my shade garden right now...:)

trunnels, they have never debited my credit card for the Mexican anise. They have had trouble propagating this shrub but promise that they will have a limited number this year. It's in the catalog. If I don't get it this year, I'm gonna be mad at them because I should on the top of the waiting list.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well, I won't order from them. I just thought they had some pretty things. I ordered rose bushes from them and they didn't make it. They did replace them but still they were disappointing.

I have heard comments about their roses not being good, but I have had mixed results. Some did well, some died. My tropicana is struggling, lost my Betty Boop, a couple of others are OK. I am eyeing Honey Dijon, listed as a sweetly-scented Grandiflora. Has anyone had any experience with this rose?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Jesse,
$12.95 for a three inch pot of Japanese Painted Fern is VERY high. A fern in a three inch pot won't make a dent in your garden for 4-5 years. You can usually get 6 inch size pots or larger for that price at your local garden centers.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Jesse, I agree-Wayside has such a beautiful catalog. I got really nice roses from them on sale last year.

Check the Garden Watchdog Top 20. They are reliable companies with nice plants. Many of them are far cheaper than Wayside.

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

You might check your local Nusery for the IcePlant.
They usually sell ground covers in flats. You'd need
lots of plants to fill in any size of area, unless you're
willing to wait several years!!

Hi
I just got an email from them and parks seed (same Owners).They will start having seminars on various topics on Feb 26 continuing through June 18th.I have heard that their garden center is just fabulous.I have never been there even though it is not that far from where I live.I think I may go up there this year but I will continue buying only seeds and deeply discounted plants from them.

Park's has an excellent garden center but Wayside has none. Wayside is almost a joke in their town because they no longer have extensive nurseries. They either get everything from Park's or other wholesale nurseries and act as a middle-man. The main advantage they offer is a huge variety all in one catalog. But it is the reason they are so expensive.

Thank you for this comment.It will save me a fairly long drive.This info I got was not very up to date.

downscale, Park's DOES have big nurseries and is open to the public. In the fall you can get some great bargains.

woodspirit1
The email I received about the plant seminars was from Parks and not from wayside.It said "we will be opening the new Park and Wayside Gardens store on Friday February 18th".I always thought that they were owned by the same people,maybe not.As I have said before I have ordered bare root roses from them at rock bottom prices and have been mostly happy with the results.As forThe roses that didn't make it thru the winter in the mountains,I received a cash refund the following year.I have been ordering seeds from parks for years.Maybe I will rethink and go up there anyway.It is about 4hrs drive from the beach.How far is it away from you?I have never been to Lake Toxaway but have heard that it is very nice.

They ARE owned by the same people. Greenwood and Hodges are very close together. If any of my roses are dead, I will try to get a refund from them. Betty Boop didn't make it and J&P agreed to a refund. I think I lost Mr. Lincoln too. I"ll bet the gardens store will be at Park, not at Wayside.
I am only about 1-1/2 hours from Greenwood. But I am also interested in going to Laurens, in the same general vicinity to visit Roses Unlimited. They have great ratings in the Garden Watchdog.
I need to order The Delaney Sisters from Hortico, only place I can find it. They ran out last year before I could get my order in.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

I visited Park's annual trial gardens once, many years ago. They had things I'd never seen before, like annual candytuft "Flash". Took a zillion pictures before I collapsed from the midsummer SC heat. Dazzling place. Someday I'll go back.

Here's what i have been doing with Wayside. i look at all their plants and if I see something I really HAVE to have, I do a google search to see if i can find it anywhere else for a better price (and larger size). I only go to the local nurseries when I can't manage on the internet.

woodspirit1
Where can I buy Don Juan?I tried to order it ftom Chamblee's but they have put it on the not available list because of demand.Could it be that all the DG people who read the rose forum have ordered it?I also use google alot but I rather order from a place where others have had good experiences.That is why I use garden watch dog.The nurseries around here are pretty dismal or really expensive.I had better luck in the mountains and had alot of friends to trade with.

I think I saw them at Lowe's. Also try J&P and Edmund's.

I'll try Lowe's. Thanks

I tried lowe's today. They carry Jackson & Perkins (great prices) but the Don Juan was an off brand and was spindly and waxed. I avoid those.

I just ordered it from J&P.Everyone else was sold out.

Good for you! I may have to do the same thing. Although I did see and America that was tempting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.