New from Schriener's Iris Gardens

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pictured here are some *seedlings* from Schrieners Iris Gardens. Many of these are LINED OUT seedlings, so we may see them in this years catalog, or in the near future. some of course may never be introduced ~ If they don't have what it takes. :-) Here is a peek at possible future introductions.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Let's call the above one seedling # 1.

This makes this one seedling # 2.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 2 again. Only you can see the whole branch this time.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 3.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 4.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 5.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 6.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Do you see what you can come up with if you grow your own seeds of crossed hybrids? Amazing, isn't it?

Here is seedling # 7.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 8.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 9.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is seedling # 10.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Now here is the big question: which one, (or two or three, if it's hard to decide) - -do you like the best? I'll start - -

My favorites are: numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Ok - - your favorite 4 iris seedlings pictured here! (big grin)
~Margie

This message was edited Feb 4, 2005 1:14 PM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

They are all nice, but I like #5 and #6 best.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

they are all beautiful, i like 2,4,6, & 7.

Corte Madera, CA

they are all beautiful! this doesn't help my IRIS MADNESS...i need a 12 step program.

(thanks for the pictures.)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I love #3. (thanks for the pics!- I need them this time of year)

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I like #8, #7, #5, and #10

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Moonglow, you are right, it doesn't help our iris-madness does it? Would you like to see more?
~Margie

Corte Madera, CA

pretty, pretty PLEASE!!!

thanks, margie. you are so awesome!

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

I agree!!!
They are always great Margie.

3# and 9#

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Margie for the fun game to play. I see that John, there is a potential new Iris for your white garden. Number 3 is beautiful.

They are so varied. But I love all the veining at the shoulders and rings around the edges of the falls. I also like the blue tint and yellow shoulders on number 8. It's fabulous.
Of course #6 is the most interesting. Would I pay $45 for it? Do you think that it's finished yet? I'm just kidding. They are all beautiful.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think #3 is the most unusual one. The colors on the falls are nothing that I've seen before.

John and doss - I agree they are all beautiful! :-) I've begun a Schreiner's Seedling #2, if you want to see more. Click here for that thread.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/483756/

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Acutally, I'm amazed that the iris introductions are priced so much more reasonably than the daylilies. Anyway, I'll wait a couple of years until the prices work for me--after the girls are out of college.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wanda, I'm amazed at what they can get for daylilies. $500? What are people smoking? It makes me think of the Dutch Tulip mania where they became worth more than well, take the link and you'll see.

http://www.ricedelman.com/planning/investing/tulipbulbs.asp

And thanks for the new thread Margie.

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Dorothie, thanks for the recommandation :)

Margie i'm following the other thread already, thanks anyway. :)

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wanda, (If I remember correctly) iris prices are begginning to creep up there. Last year there was one for $60.00 and another one $80.00 or $85.00. But yes, fortunately not as high as new Daylily introductions!! They are both such beautiful flowers!!

~Margie

Too many new gardeners with too much money to spend. Going to ruin it for the rest of us...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's an $85 Introduction. "Expose" from Joe Ghio 2004. Thought you just might like to know what $85.00 could buy you last year - although it's probably going to be $50.00 this year. Or who knows? Maybe it won't be reduced at all.

Thumbnail by doss

Now THAT'S unusual!

Corte Madera, CA

i'll wait when the price on that gets affordable (ok, way cheaper).

it's a beauty no question.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Now that's really different!
I love #5...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Needless to say, I didn't buy the Ghio Iris - but it was a head turner. And so was the price. I was in shock - so I, of course being the saver that I am, just had to copy it off the website. Something this unique doesn't come along everyday. But I agree. Waiting is good.

On his web page he does say it has it all.

Quitman, AR

I wanna play, I like 1,4,6 and 10 the best but they're all beautiful!

Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.