Trying to save a special orchid

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

In the pic the leaves seem to be a little larger than they actually are, but none the less, It is trying to make it, and I'd love to keep it. The blooms were a dark-light purple and gorgeous. Any help would be so appreciated! So even though it is in a small pot, should I repot it?

Thanks, Traci S

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I'm no expert with orchids, but I have found that mine do better in the wooden baskets filled with orchid mix. I recently purchased 3 Vandas, & found out that you don't put them in any kind of mix. The grower(Mike, at Top Tropicals) said the small baskets they came in would eventually rot away. So, Ithey are hung on a big japenese bamboo tree. they attach their roots to the tree. They are beautiful flowers, sure hope mine and yours make it! Melba

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Repotting is best done in spring, or so I think... not positive on that.

I wouldn't mount it unless you can offer it alot of humidity, like in a green house or the right climate. GA is not a good place to let it attach to a tree outdoors.

Forgot to add that the smallest pot you can fit it in, the better, they don't like alot of room.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2005 2:11 AM

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Capt Micha. I live in South Fl, not Ga.i am a transplant from Ga! lol! Melba

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Cane Dendrobiums are gorwn in pots, not mounted as they are wayyy to big. Repotting is not so dependent on spring as when new roots are actively growing (which is often in spring!). Check to see of the new sprout is sending out fresh roots...whenever that is evident, you can repot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.