Thunbergia alata, zone 6 question

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know if this will reseed in zone 6? The reason I ask is that I was going to winter sow some, but didn't want to just be wasting the seeds.

Thanks for any info!
Vicki

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Vicki.... I am down in zone 8 a or b on the border. I have a Thunbergia grandifloria and an alba I have never had mine reseed. I gather the seed and start it in doors. I mulch mine up in the winter and it comes back.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I had read that it reseeded some in the warmer zones. If you don't get any in zone 8, I don't think I'll risk winter sowing these. These are the times that I actually miss living in hot & humid MS, all the things that don't winter over here : (

Thanks!
Vicki

Does T. alata make a lot of seeds? I've never grown it but it is reasonable to think that if it dropped a bunch of seeds in the fall that you would get seedlings from that seed bank in the soil, yes?

Joseph

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

This is my first try with them, not sure how many seeds they produce, but since they are so tender I'm not sure how much cold the seeds can take. I counted my seeds and have a few more than I thought, I may put a few out with the winter sown stuff and see what happens.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have grown the T. alatas for several years now, the yellows, whites & sunrise surprise & have never gotten a single seed. :~(
I was told they probably drop off before I get to them, but that is not true, I never have any on the deck around them & when I have tried bagging flowers that are done blooming, I never get any either. So whatever pollinates them is not in my yard. Fortunately, in my zone, they don't die back & these plants are the originals.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Lucky you, zone envy here! : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.