refreshing iris

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I've had a few iris for years but havent paid as much attention to them as they deserve until last year. Mostly I have tall bearded iris....which is kinda funny since I always like clean shaven men :)

Anyway...I notice that some of the iris clumps (these are ones that I bought last spring-and are mostly older cultivars) have green shoots but the tops are brown dead. Should I cut this off ?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, cut off the dead foliage. The plant will replace it with fresh growth.

Laurie

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Charlotta, I'm just north of you and plan to go to the Pickens Flea market as soon as the weather warms up. In late summer I hope to sell iris rhizomes down there. Do you want to join me at a table after you divide your irises? (How long has it been since you divided them)?
I plan to take a book of pictures of them when they are blooming so people can see what they will look like next year.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2005 12:13 PM

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I would love to do that but dont think I will have enough this year. I went there last year and they were getting some pretty good prices for plants out there.

I would love to sell a few plants someday. I need to come up with SOME way to make money. (I'd stand on a corner but our town is so small it doesnt have one !) Okay....just kidding. It does have one or two ...LOL

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Yeah, I've been there. Our courthouse is modeled somewhat on your courthouse. Well, If I come down, I will contact you and maybe we can eat at Le Juan's.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.