eating the morning glories

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Anyone ever seen this culprit: exactly the size and shape of a lady bug but BRILLIANT GOLD!
If they did not decimate my morning glory leaves I would actually like them. They are exquisite looking.
Alas, they munch under the cover of darkness- or under the cover of mosquitoes right now! UGH. and if I do spot one early in the mornig- always on the under side- it will drop to the ground or fly off so quickly that my squash rate is next to nil.

Any ideas?

Lyles, TN

Lemonbalm~ Last feb, I think it was, we had a discussion of these bugs. I had them on my morning glories and no one would believe the color. Don't know how much they eat but they have my vote for prettiest bug (can there be such a thing?) :)

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks, this somehow makes me feel better.

The voles are eating through the roots and these 'pretty' insects are riddling the leaves.
The morning glories are having a hard time preforming their cover the south side of the screen porch duty.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

these showed up at my house, after a local plant trade, am not sure i am rid of them. they are very pretty. in my yard they nibble on morning glory bushes, brugs, castor beans and basically anything poisonous. they are called "false gold beetles", calalily knows the scientific name.
arlene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.