Is this a Rose Garland Iris????

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Hello Everybody!
I have been combing the plant database trying to identify my Iris(s). They were growing here when I bought this place a year and a half ago, and with a little encouragement they are doing very well! Here are a couple pics taken last spring. Do you think that I have Rose Garland 1954???
Thanks,
Cindy Lou

Thumbnail by hmstyl
Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Here is a different view.

Thumbnail by hmstyl
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Cindy Lou,
I wish I could tell you the name of your iris, but I think I have the same unnamed!
Bonnie

Thumbnail by hooked
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't think that's right. Here is my Rose Garland--the falls are a lighter rose color.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

How about Sir Michael 1925? Sorry I can't give you a photo. I remember seeing it and wrote it down as a possible, but I didn't write down where I saw it!(Dah!!) Live and learn!

I looked at some of my other Historics--nothing close to the color yet. On the other hand, I planted alot of "new" Historics 2 years ago from DG friends that have not bloomed yet. (Cool, Wet spring was tough on iris & energetic Walker the Wonderdog broke off many stalks as he chased rabbits thru the beds.)

Did you check the Plantfiles? As Laurie said, often the only way is to plant an identified iris & then see if it matches your bloom. Color in photos can be so deceptive.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I've spent hours going through the database files, and like you said - it is so hard to tell the actual colors from photos. It all depends on the photographer, quality of the camera, and whether the sun it shining on the bloom, etc. I am very happy with my iris, I just wanted to identify it so I can trade plants with people and they would know what they are getting from me.
Thanks for all your help.

If I see one that's close, I'll let you know so you can check it out too. Lord knows we all have a few historics that have lost their names decades ago, but are still gorgeous!

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

hmstyl, i think you got the same as i have and i don't know it's name either.
I have put them up in a thread aswell, but no one could tell me either.
Here is a pic of my irises

Thumbnail by John_Benoot

John, yours look alot deeper in color than the ones above on my computer. There are many variations on the iris of this period. Are the colors true?

This is Madame Henri Cayeaux. The color is deep with brilliant yellow beards and distinct white shoulders.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Wanda,The colors are very true, its a good pic. Because it was a cloudy day when i made it. When sun is hitting on the irises colors are always fading a bit. But this one isn't.
I tried to find it back in old catalogs i dug up but with no succes. I don't think it's Madame Henri Cayeaux either. I will post new pics when it blooms again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.