here are some more of the wild ;-) flowers I found yesterday

Modi'in, Israel

leaves a bit like parsley or cilantro. Flowers like I dunno what ;-).

Thumbnail by salvia_lover
Modi'in, Israel

another of the same plant...

Modi'in, Israel

very cute little one slightly less than an inch across

Modi'in, Israel

another that shows the leaves ever so slightly....

Modi'in, Israel

another tiny daisy type flower :-)....weeds may be weeds, but sometimes they are awfully cute ;-)

The first plant is a Fumaria species, possibly Fumaria capreolata - White ramping fumitory which has a huge range, most of the N. Hemisphere, and occurs in Israel.

The white flowered Daisy looks like a Matricaria/Chamomile species but there are lots just like this (does it have a scent?) and the yellow is a Senecio species of the type sometimes called Grounsel.

Modi'in, Israel

Baa.....is there anything you don't know? You are amazing! I really haven't given up on the suspicion that you may in fact be a computer and not a human at all ;-). Thank you very much for the IDs. I didn't think to smell the flowers and it's raining outside right now. But I'll check them out on the way to school again tomorrow when I pick up the kids :-)

There's another flower that I've seen growing all over the grassy area in one of our shopping centers. I keep forgetting to take the camera with me when I go there. Next time I go I'll definitely take the camera. I would love to know what that one is and after your quick work of my flowers above, I bet you'll know this one as well.

Thanks again Baa!

-Julie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

wonderful pics, Julie. Yes, Baa is a wonder, isn't she!

Modi'in, Israel

Thank you Weez! :-)

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Gosh, thought the first was a bleeding heart family-oh-I looked it up and that's the same family as Baa said!! And I thought the second was a chamomile. I get families right sometimes.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Very nice pics, Julie! Thanks for posting them.

Modi'in, Israel

Thanks Boojum and Shannon! :-) I just bought a great 2-volume field guide to flowering plants in Israel, so I'll be able to ID the things I see much more easily. :-) The little yellow and white flowers are here in abundance and there are a few of each that are very similar...so the only way to really ID them is by paying attention to the foliage (which I don't really have a good view of in these pics). But now that I know how many similar flowers there are in this particular group, I'll be sure to get pics of both flowers and foliage from now on :-).

-Julie

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Julie, I feel privileged to be able to see your personal plant photos and those of others who live in totally different environments than mine - it's so interesting! I've seen all sorts of neat plants since joining DG....bamboo growing in the wild...sea grasses...and even an iguana, thanks to nativeplantfan9. It's just great. All I could show you in return right now is some snow, our local specialty this time of year!....lolol Thanks again.

Shannon

Modi'in, Israel

Shannon I'm really glad you enjoyed the pics. Here's another just for you :-)...

Asphodelus aestivus

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These are such great photos, Shannon! This last one has such an interesting head of buds! That must be quite a cluster when it blooms!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Weezingreens are you getting a hankering for more seed??? LOL!!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Nooooooooo... well, what? LOL!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

HAHAHA!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm getting all excited about seeing other people's wildflowers, etc. These days, you're lucky to see me off my property once a week for Senior Day shopping, much less trudging through the woods, but every year I seem to huff and puff my way out to photograph the wild grasses and plants. I even send my camera with my son for his mountain bike treks!

I can see that Shannon has got the 'bug' too! She's bought some native plant books and she'll be IDing these plants and posting like crazy to the PF, I'll bet! Her photos are so clear and well framed that I feel like I could reach out and touch these flowers! Good work, Shannon!

In your case, NC, I'll bet you feel like you could reach out and snap off the seed pods!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

YEP!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Carol,

Only my boundless modesty (LOLOL) prevents me from taking the credit...those are all Julie's photos! And they're great. I hope to make some contributions later this year....right now, all I could show you is snow! :-)

Thanks for the extra pic, Julie. Our internet firewall at work isn't letting any thumbnails through these days :-(, so I'm looking forward to seeing it when I get home.

Shannon

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ooooops! Sorry, Shannon... I meant to say Julie. I'm in the same boat... just snow, no flowers! I'll have a few crocus coming up through the mulch in April... sigh! I'm really looking forward to taking more pictures of wild plants this spring and summer.

Modi'in, Israel

Thank you Weezi. :-) Sorry you couldn't see the pic Shannon. I'll send another one to make it more fun :-)

Daucus carota

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Now, this one is familiar, Julie. It grew along the roadsides back in northern Indiana when I was a child. I think we called it Queen Anne's Lace. My friend & I would pretend the center was a ruby!

Modi'in, Israel

Yep Weezi, this is indeed Queen Anne's Lace. :-)

-Julie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

ah, sweet memories! As I recall, it has a sweet, yet herbal smell. Isn't it a relative of the carrot?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Wild carrot - not a flavorful, but it worked in a pinch for the early colonists, soup bases and such if I remember right. Maybe also a tonic, hmmm, have to look that up again . . .

WZ, I think all littler girls want that to be a ruby!.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow, Julie - the photos were worth the wait for me to get home! The one of the asphodelus is particularly stunning. Thanks!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think you are right, Kathleen. When I saw Julie's picture (from Israel, mind you!), sitting here in my Alaskan log home with snow sliding off my roof, I suddenly felt the heat of summer on my skin, heard the sounds of bugs and birds in rural Indiana, and smelled Queen Anne's Lace! What a strange and wonderful world we live in!

PS... it really is a ruby, you know.

Modi'in, Israel

Shannon and Weezi, I'm so glad you liked the pics. We finally got a day of sun yesterday. Looks like today could go either way though. No sun at the moment, but the sky is patchy with clouds....it could clear up or turn ugly in a snap. Ugh! At least we had yesterday.

-Julie

What's ugly like in Israel? Snowing here. Closed school, but they downgraded to a few inches. So here I am playing at DG.

Modi'in, Israel

Ugly is cold and rain all day and night long for days and days until the earth is disgustingly slimy and soggy and the continuing rain just sits above ground because the earth is too saturated to soak up anymore. Nature likes it....I get depressed. And of course, not all of my garden plants are native to this climate, so many of them suffer from the continuing soggy ground.

Today was cloudy, although not rainy, so no water evaporated from the garden. Ho hum.....

-Julie

We have dreary weather for weeks here, too. Funny I never would have thought of constant rain as a problem in Israel (stereotype, here). Spring runoff from all the melting snow is borderline floody here. Our basement has a permanent channel for the water to run through-probably since it was built (1850)! We call it the Grand Canal. I think the worst weather here is weeks on end of -0 degrees F weather. Major cabin fever. Not to mention what it does to mechanical devices!! A few weeks ago, my car was frozen in reverse! Warmer now. I live on a former farm so we also have mud and sand to contend with. March is actually called "mud season" here. Gotta take shoes off at the doors (all year). Gotta have slip on shoes to not go crazy. I did something really dumb this year. My DBF waited to bring home his feeder stands from work so the ground was frozen. I ended up putting a feeder off of a hook on the side porch which means all the seeds are ending up on our shoes, the entry rug AND my side gardens. I know I'll pay and pay in weeding this summer!!!!!!But there are all these great winter birds hopping all over the porch right next to the full-length glass door.... So keep those spring photos coming. They are a beautiful distraction from my reality. BTW, we have lots of Queen Anne's Lace, but it's so common I didn't take a single photo. But I was so happy to see your photo! Deprivation sure wakes you up to beauty.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

How true, boojum! For the first year or two I had a digital camera, I never thought to take pictures of wild plants, and now I'm fascinated by them... so many kinds! I once saw pictures from a mountain hike in Napal, and there were wild marigolds growing along the trails... I'd never considered them wildflowers before. That's when it struck me that all our garden flowers, in their species forms, are wildflowers to someone.

Modi'in, Israel

I agree. I used to go for hikes and discount so many things are weeds in my search for "real" flowers. Then suddenly I realized that weeds are weeds just because someone didn't like them enough to cultivate them for his own garden. Now I'm looking at all the "weeds" and really enjoying their beauty too :-). Everywhere I go now, I take my camera and snap pics of anything that looks interesting or has flowers. And the more I do this, the more I notice, the more my eyes are open to what is there. I found a bird's nest yesterday in a wild Salvia when I pushed part of it aside to get that pic of the Asphodelus aestivus. That was a fun surprise....pushing the plant out of the way to get the camera close enough when I couldn't get ME close enough...and there tucked away in the middle of the plant was that nest. So cute :-)

-Julie

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm feeling the same re-awakening...I can't wait to take the camera out on the trails.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Great pics , Julie, wildflowers are wonderful things. Nobody fusses over them and they grow so pretty anyway.

Love that clustered Lily looking one.- the Asphedelous. And all the little low ones we call belly flowers, cause ya hafta get on your belly to take their pictures. /:-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Really?? (or is this just another of my gullible moments....lol)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've been down on my belly getting those shots of wildflowers, and my belly is so big, I still wasn't low enough! And, the getting up with a camera in hand is darned near impossible. Photographing wildflowers is for the young an agile, I'm afraid!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Really: see my new thread. this forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.