How's this for a compost idea?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

My DH and I thought this up ......... you all have seen the expensive 'rolling' or 'spinning' compost bins, right? Well how about taking simple wire fencing, lining it with window screen, then roll it up --- close the ends (but enable both ends to open again for more organic matter) and just give it a roll in the yard daily to mix it up. Think it would work? I have a plastic composter but it's always been too difficult for me to turn the organic matter, its seems to be forever stuck in the ground, I think the only way to move it would be to tie it to our truck and take off to loosen it from the ground, then I'd have room for more Forsythia. Jill

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Yes I have seen that somewhere, it would definitely work! Tomato cage, even a small drum...

Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

hmmm, thanks for getting my mind 'turning', maybe I should drill many holes in a 55 gallon drum and use it for rolling compost around the yard... they are plentiful and free. (drums are from fruit juices/concentrates, not petroleum products) Smuckers and Knudsen are both in my neighborhood. :)

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I know we'll make use of our 'rolling' composter ---- we have a huge Soft Maple tree in the front yard and a huge Pin Oak tree in the back yard --- leaves leaves everywhere each fall. Now we just have to make one! C'mon Spring!

Denver, CO

the only possible draw back I can think of is in a semi-arid or arid climate (like mine) an open-to-the-air composter would not be able to retain enough moisture to keep the composting process going.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have seen something kind of similar- the idea was to buy a large plastic trash can. Like the kind you would use for an outdoor garbage can. Get the kind with a lid that snaps on securely. Then you drill holes in the side from the bottom and go about half way up. Seems like it said to make the holes about a half inch big and an inch apart. If you get the kind with a handle, it is much easier to just pull it over on it's side, then push it around the yard. So you have containment, you have plastic, you have easy access to add materials to it, you have the "rolling" ability, you have ease of use, and of course it's cheap!

Jamie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.