Should i cut or leave ?

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

I transplanted two amaryllises three to four years ago and they have been going great. My question to ya'll is, should I cut the leaves back to the bulb or just keep pulling off the dying ones ?? We had a light snow here at christmas and it did not seem to bother them even thou I failed to cover them (I know, bad me).

Thumbnail by kipper2
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can only tell you what I do . I leave the leaves on as they die I remove them. My amaryllis come back every year. I don't cover mine either here in Tx, and they are doing just fine. Good luck.
Patti

rose, I figured that but since I joined DG I have found that I have been doing wrong sometimes ?? Can you believe it????lol....Last spring I had 1 bloom stalk with 6 trumpets on it.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Kipper , they as with other bulbs need the green leaves to replenish thier energy back into the bulb.
Continue to cut back the brown leaves and let the green stay on. Your bulb and blooms will be better for it. :-)

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kipper,
I have found I never learn anything when things are going right . I learn from mistakes. I make mistakes all the time. Dave's garden is a wonderful place to learn and make lots of friends. I have blessed to receive both. Rikerbear is right you bulbs will love you for it. Good luck.
Patti

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Let the green leaves stay and continue to feed it. These ones are really heavy feeders. Once you managed to give them enough "juice" so that the bulbs have enlarged, they will bloom.

Here is a picture of my latest amaryllis. It was planted in December 2003 when it was 22 cms circumfence (small walmart bulb). After one year it had grown by 50% to 37 cms circumfence (which is equal to more than double stored energy than originally).

This January, two flower scapes appeared at the nose of the bulb, and it will bloom any day now.

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen

And here is a picture the amaryllis with the flower scapes

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen

thanks for the info, Guys. Ya'll are great !! When it blooms out again this year I'll brag about it with some images.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

WOW That's some bulb. I started some amaryllis seeds given to me by a DG'er. Each plant now has a little "bulb". Putting out some new top growth too.

Perhaps it will flower next winter?

Count on 3-4 years until flowering. Make sure to fertilize heavily. These seedlings are very heavy feeders. You can easily add 1 table spoon of 20-20-20 per gallon of water with every 2nd watering.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that advice. I hadn't been fertilizing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.