Russian Olive and Hebes

Musquodoboit Harbour, NS(Zone 6b)

I have a large property and am looking at trees and shrubs to plant. I have seen the russian olive in books and magazines. I like the look of it but have heard it is invasive....any experience with this?

Also have seen hebes which I love, but don't know if any exist that would be hardy in my 6b zone...some part sof my garden are very sheltered from north wind and I believe I can approximate a zone 7 - 8 as long as I mulch quite a bit.

Appreciate your thoughts!
cheers, hypatia

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

There are many hebes hardy in your area. I am growing H. pinquifolia 'Pagae', H. cuppressoides, H. epicridea and H. rakienensis (not sure if I spelled the last one right). I also have H. albicans but that one is kept indoors but I will root one to try outdoors next summer. I collected a bunch of un-named cuttings from London last spring which are now in the unheated basement window. I will try some of them outside next winter.

I don't think Russian Olive would be invasive in our wet climate...they certainly are not invasive in Newfoundland.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Can't help with the Hebe, but it looks like Todd just gave you all the advice you need on that. Regarding Russian-olive, it generally follows one of two paths: it's very invasive in dry areas, and it's especially disease-prone in wet areas. There are so many great North American natives you could plant in your zone (and many non-invasive exotics as well) that I suggest you not even consider Russian-olive.
Guy S.

Musquodoboit Harbour, NS(Zone 6b)

Guy, I will let the Russian Olive go...I have discovered the Hebes Society website and am looking for images that match Todd's suggestions. Unfortunately this site doesn't seem to talk about zones....the photos are fabulous and they have hebes A to Z to taunt me.

However when I go to Plantscout I get nothing for hebe suppliers.

Todd, have you found hebes for sale locally (ie in the Atlantic) or must I go to England or New Zealand.
H

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I got some of mine from The Plant Farm in BC and from a friend in Annapolis Royal. Bunchberry Nursery in Clementsport may offer some (the owner is who gave me the H. epacridea). Overall, your best bet will be mail-order nurseries in BC...they grow lots of Hebes there. Pacific Rim might offer some and might want to try Fraser Thimble Farms. I know the Plant Farm has them but may no guarantees on the others. All three have websites you can check.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.