My "new" greenhouse

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

View from my deck of a plastic greenhouse I got on ebay two years ago. I used it on my deck the first year but didn't bother with it last year. It's too difficult to heat. I decided to give it another try right on the ground facing true south. It has been too cold to try to seal it up and use itbut it will come in handy in March when I get serious about seed starting.

Thumbnail by roseone33
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

thats a very small greenhouse. Guess if its big enough for you then thats all that matters. What is that -----4X8 house?
Happy gardening to ya.
If you had it close to your house --all you would need is one small electric heater.(1500 watts)
does the door way not zip up or something. You could use some duct tape on keeping it sealed shut or some velcrooooooo. I dont imagine you could put a door on it cause its so light weight.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I bought one last year about that size. In my zone 6, I was able to put my tropicals and seedlings out in it, unheated last year in March. I had it in the driveway on cement though and that may make a difference. I am thinking you may be able to put a wood frame around the bottom to hold the sides down if they are not attached. Another thought would be to pull dirt up around it, but not to the point of caving in the sides. I believe someone on the brug forum also has a house like this.

Wow, do you have a nice yard! Really nice. Where is that part of GA that it is only a 6b? I have only been to GA once but I really loved it down there!

Hi Folks,
Yes, it's small, the size of a piece of plywood, which it's mounted on. Yes, it does close and I will be securing the bottom when my neighbor comes back with his drill and screws down the bottom and, of course, the door does close with a zipper. If I put a portable heater in it with a long extension cord, I can keep it above freezing if our temps aren't too crazy but when we set it up we were expecting single digit temps and high winds with blowing snow and we had freezing rain on Friday night so I thought it would be better to wait for awhile. I might buy a few bales of hay and bank up around the bottom to keep out drafts.
Thanks for the compliment about my yard, I like it, it's really just an unimproved old field that I keep mowed. Where I am is less than a mile from the NC line, it's just down the hill from me, just south of extreme western NC in the mountains.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Single digits? Eww! And here I sit with my visions of sunny GA with orange trees everywhere. LOL It was a very wise idea to not waste the time with a heater! Another option is one of those work lights with a very strong bulb. In a house that size, it should provide plenty of heat, especially once you tack it down. I have also heard that putting pea gravel on the floor or putting in say a large black trash can full of water can help. I haven't tried these things but thought I would throw them out for you. I just bought a larger one myself and it should be here next week. I am pondering the joys of heating it. hahahaha I am also eye balling the unused cast iron pot belly stove on my neighbors porch. LOL I wonder if he'd let me borrow it for a couple of months? :)

You could try it Badseed, but I'm sure there are drawbacks about smoke and carbon monoxide or some such thing. I have a real long extension cord and some old grow lights but getting all that set up might not be worth it. I used to have a small solar greenhouse with a row of black 55 gallon drums across the back filled with water. We had no additional heat in there and it worked fine most of the time. When we had REALLY cold wether, I would cover the beds with newspaper and then plastic and they struggled thru.
Good luck on your new greenhouse. I am looking forward to the dream day somewhere in the fantasy future when I will have another real solar greenhouse.
Thanks for the good ideas and input.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The hay idea is excellant idea.

cricket

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Seed, there was an Amish fellow that ran a comercial GH near here, and his heat source was a big woodstove in each GH.
The down side is that you would probably have to go out and stoke it in the middle of the night. [Course you are probably up then, anyway. :) ]

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Stoking in the middle of the night huh? Gee, now that sounds like fun! LOL I am thinking I would only have to heat November through February but you never know about the weather around here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.