January 29, 2005

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I couldn't help reading all the posts about the bad news happening everywhere. For a few weeks now it seems like the small city where I work has been plauged by bad troubles. A murder in the parking garage where Hubby and I park. We can usually ride together and He likes to park on a different level than me. But when I drive myself I park on the same floor where the murder occured.. A policewoman in this city was shot and it almost severed her spinal cord. I could go on and on.. But, I have always tried to be a positive person... Yesterday though someone came into the hospital with a handgun. Noone could find this person. My Hubby usually sets at the front desk and talks to everyone that comes in. Sometimes if the Security people have to restrain someone they call my Husband because He is such a physically strong man. Luckily yesterday My husband wasn't working.. Even though they didn't ever find this guy.

What a heartbreak for the people that lost their barn of ewes and lambs. and for it to be arson. How terrible. I get so attached to my animals..

Things are going well at our barn though. Hubbie's Cousin insisted on bringing more hay before our little ice storm hit. These are huge bales and almost filled my barn.

I like to keep the small animals up for lambing and kidding. Now they have little tunnels around the stacked large round bales. I have 4 set of twins lambs.. I have quite an assortment of ewes , so each set of lambs have a distictively different look. The katahdin mix mom has a snow white set of twin ram lambs When their mother is laying down they walk around on her back. My black ewe had a tiny but healthy set of almost black with white spotted lambs. One boy and one girl. A big suffolk had a mixed set of twins. Long leggy babies. and then a big suffolk/montadale mixed ewe had a beautiful big set of ewe lambs this morning. I have them all separated in pens and so glad they didn't have to be out in the ice storm last night. It started to sleet right when I got everything fed and watered yesterday..

I had a busy busy day at work and it is such a relief to finally get to the barn ... It is so relaxing to me to watch all the Mother's feeding their babies. When I had every thing fed and watered I was just leaning against the fences looking into the pens when I heard it starting to sleet on the barn roof. I thought it might slow down for a dry walk back to the house, but it only picked up. Oh well , thank goodness for my waterproof winter barn clothes.

I also have six baby goats at the barn. One little goat I have now named bandit steals a drink from the mother ewes. I got a picture with my cell phone camera. It has poor resolution, but I think I may post it later.

Other excited news for us is that our youngest daughter got engaged yesterday. It's one of those - it's about time. He is Bulgarian.. They spent three weeks in Bulgaria at Christmas. We have no idea about any kind of wedding plans.

Well, back to the barn .... It's busy there. There is snow on the ground here after the freezing rain and snow of yesterday.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!