Organic Fertilizers

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Can you guys share some recipes with me for good fertilizers and feeding solutions?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I understand you can't beat Kelp. It sure helped my winter squash recover last year after an attack from the squash bugs. While we are on the subject, anyone ever use Sea Plus, a blend of fish emulsion and kelp?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

This is from Baa in another thread...

"There are some organic substitutes that in reality are not only just as, if not more than, effective and aid plant health as well as being practically free. If you are looking for a watering in/spray on fertiliser, comfrey and/or nettle (Urtica dioica) tea are invaluable, they are quite high in NPK and trace elements. Nettle is also extremely beneficial to plant health and help boost plant immune systems, not the nicest of plants to grow itself mind you, there are many other plants that applied in a tincture are also beneficial to plant health. They all stink to high heaven but that is a minor thing to overcome considering their benefits. Fish and bone meal are great slow release fertilisers and good old farmyard manure has many benefits although I find it best to aquire different types of manure rather than just horse which sours/acidifies the soil after many years of application."

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

It came from this thread...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/467355/

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Tamara! I have a 55 gallon fish tank that I cypher and clean ever so often, does this have any benefit to the plants? I've watered with it before, doesn't seem to do much though. I've been buying that organic compost and cow manure from Walmart, hoping that is being more kind to the earth too.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Kathy,
If you're not already aware of it, the term organic has no legal definition when applied to something other than food. Petroleum is actually an "organic" substance as are long-chain manufactured carcinogenics. The run-of-the-mill organic compost purchased at most chain stores can contain MANY things you'd never want to apply in an organic food garden. You can read the details of such components on Organic Gardening's website or the Woods End Laboratory at http://www.woodsend.org/
Michele

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mickgene, figures that this would not be so easy as buying a bag from Walmart though. Education is important here, hope to learn more in this forum.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I owuld say the water from your fish tank has Chlorine, or some kind of chemical in it that I wouldn't want in my veggie garden.
I haven't read the thread from mickgene yet, but there is a govt standard for "Approved for Organic Gardening Label". It is hard to find though. I am using goat manure from local folks, and I hear rabbit is good and breaks down easily without burning. One rule of thumb is, don't use manure from carnivores, (that would include catlle these days), unless WELL composted. Another rule is for plants with edible parts that will touch the soil, apply compost 90 days or more before planting, for above ground level, I believe it is 60 days before harvest.
A friend of mine who started lasagna beds last fall was so excited about how cheap manure was at Walmart. Now she is very disappointed with the results, and is paying more for better quality.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hope the days in my rule of thumb is correct, if not someone speak up.

Mickgene, that is an EXCELLENT site, chocked full of actual scientific studies. I will be visiting there regularly, THANK YOU.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Thanks to a link from VGKMK, I will take back my suggestion on fish emulsion...

"Fish Emulsions
Did you know that fish emulsions contain chlorine, 14% salt and if the
manufacturer uses a cheap low grade sulfuric acid the product could
contain mercury! The meal and oils are also removed. So whats left?
NOT MUCH!"

However, using fish i had good results with my corn last year. A bait shop nearby would call when they had several bags of frozen dead minnows. I only accepted the ones that died naturally, nothing diseased or foul smelling. I would place a frozen bag per hill of corn, when the sun melted it, I ripped open the bag, coverd the fish to keep away flies and hungry predators. The corn that got it produced much better. I did have to be prompt with the pickup, because once their freezer is full, they want to dump right away.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm not talking boughten fish emulsions, I'm talking about cyphening water out of my 55 gallon fish tank. Its been up over a year and of course filtered through charcoal.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Has anyone ever tried this??? Granted this site at first seemed to be just about perennials, but she listed info about veggies too, so someone tell em what you think...

...from the same link, perennialsonline.com

"4.Chicken Feather Fertilizer
Chicken feathers is a great source for protein. Large organic farms
buy semi loads of feathers by the ton to spread in their fields. The
time that it takes to break down and help the soil is two years. As
weekend gardeners we do not have years to make soil adjustments. At
times we must do something now!

Take your old feather pillow rip it apart and boil down the feathers.
Your pillow will make half a gallon of protein concentrate.

To make a foliar spray:
1 oz. of feather protein concentrate
1 oz. of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
1 Gallon of water.
Strain before pouring into a spray bottle.

I have used this spray for years. It works very well to boost growth.
Once you try this you'll be using it for years also."

Thank you to VGKMK, Louisville, KY

Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

Alternatively, you could buy feather meal (generally by the 50# bag) and turn it into the soil before planting. It contains 12% Nitrogen and breaks down slowly over 6 months, perfect for vegetables. It's the cheapest and most efficient way I've found to fertilize (on a small farm scale). I'd much prefer to use compost, but the investment in equipment to be able to spread it are currently much more then I can afford. Feather meal sells here for $16-30 per 50# bag, maybe cheaper near you if there's a big poultry processor around.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

That does sound perfect... but no poultry processor around, have never heard of feather meal. But I have friends with chickens, so I may go feather hunting LOL

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

hehe thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a poulty processor around here, but I'll look for it at the nursery.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm going over to the horse stables across the street and raid the "pile" in the back of the stables. ;-)

Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

Sorry if I was unclear, I was just saying it may be cheaper if you are near a poultry processing facility. I just purchase from the local organic farm supply Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (www.groworganic.com) but there are many sources, "Down to Earth" distributes a feather meal product although it's a bit more expensive then some others.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

No prob Davepays, I appreciate the info. I was just so shocked to hear that CHICKEN FEATHERS were high in protein...

Unfortuantely, I live in cattle country. Like the cattle capital of the world. Remember, the Texas Cattlemen who sued Oprah.?

I will see where I could get some shipped in, if the shipping cost is not too high. I will check out the site where you buy.

Thanks, Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.