trumpet vine that grows and grows but never flowers

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, a new server will get you every time. And that's when I posted. I chickened out this afternoon. I had to log in and DG was barely crawling. So I'll do it tomorrow. It's good to know that I'm not totally crazy.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 11:47 PM

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

hypatia...........Back to the original question........did we ever find out why your trumpet vine won't bloom. I have the same problem with mine. My trumpet vine is a common orange that you see growing all over the roadside, but for some reason all I get is green. Mine is in a sunny location, well drained soil and has a wall to grow on. My friend gave me a good size shoot of it, and this will be the 4th year that its been in the ground. If I can find out why its not blooming I may give it a second chance this year, if not, it's outta there....and will throw it into the compost pile.......

Deann

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Deann, I think that we came to the "best agreed upon idea" that her vine was getting too much nitrogen. She was feeding it manure. The general concensus was that these vines seem to do better without too much care. If you are using a fertilizer, make sure that the first number is low (5-10-10 or 6-10-10) A high number in the first number indicates a higher nitrogen proportion. Nitrogen will provide a lot of green growth at the expense of blooms. But everyone with blooming vines agreed that they didn't feed theirs at all. Be especially careful if it is next to a lawn. All lawn fertilizers are high in nitrogen. Why? Because we want nice green lawns without flowers! And you are right, sometimes it's just not the right place for the plant.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Doss, dont know for sure but with my trumpet it took a good five years from seedling to 20ft, on year 3 I got a great display of flowers on the very top of a three inch trunk, I never pruned but I had the space to grow large. never fed it either. Unfortunatly my house burned last year, and we lost it. Now living in new location, with much better exposure, and growing a whole new garden.. and loving it. Thanks for the treasure chest of imfo.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Welcome to DG Vizz8....your gonna love it here :-)

Marc

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Marc, I think I think I will

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry about your house Vizz8 :-(

But I'm glad that you're new one is making you happy. You'll have to post photos of your new garden. We'd all love to see it. It's what makes us happy! Just be sure to let us know where you put the photos so we can all come see.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Doss, I'll be sure and do that, the weather here has been so warm and sunny, such an early spring, I'm hoping that we dont get surprised with another freeze, my daffs, are almost blooming, and my new trumpets are starting to bud up, just a few more years and my arbor will be filled. Ah! patience, the curse of the gardener.... lol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Patience is only a curse to a gardener if she doesn't have any! I'm so glad that your new trumpets are happy. A couple of my daffodils are open too and the early tulips are half-way up. My bulb Iris are about 9 inches out of the ground now. I'll bet you won't have to wait a couple of years for your arbor to be filled.

I'm in the process of looking for a vine that grows in deep shade. Any ideas?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

One of my favorites is:

clematis armandii ‘Snowdrift’

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482567/

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

In my old location, I lived on the northern side of a hill, with tall evergreen surrounding, we would get full sun about 1 hour a day, great for coolness in the summer but lousy for the plants.. I had good growth with my wisteria vines, which were even more shaded because of the building they were planted on. I know that most say sunny, but these guys grew there hearts out for me. Also the lace vine did good, but can be a pest.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Does 'Snowdrift' grow in the shade? Or are we crossing messages here?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine grows on the northside of my house in almost total shade for eaily 80% of the day. It does get about 2 to 3 hours of early evening sun during the summer months....winter it's alwasy shade for it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It just might work. This fence is on the east side of a fence under redwood trees. It is shaded on the south by more redwood trees so it might get a few hours of sun. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

It looks like you people really are fragrance fans.
What are the most fragrant plants, trees and
vines in your gardens? I am a new fragrance
junkie. I live in zone 9b but hot in summer but not to
not too cool in evenings either. (desert).

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Honeysuckle - without a doubt. It blooms all summer. Be careful though. Halliana is the most fragrant but can be invasive. Some of the pretty colored ones aren't very fragrant. And Brugmansia (poisonous, like oleander but much more worthy). Bearded Iris have to be the most fragrant flowers I have. "Harvest of Memories" which is very fragrant has been blooming all winter here. The Iris season is really extended with the rebloomers and they make good cut flowers too. There are always the tried and true lavender, and with the range of cultivars, you can have it blooming all summer. And of course there are the bulbs like lilies and narcissus. Some Prunus shrubs are very "heady" in the early summer. And sweet peas. You have to get seeds that are happier in warmer climates, but they do exsist. Mock Orange and Mexican Choiysa are great medium sized shrubs. The regular citrus are wonderful too.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

My favorite fragrance has to be old time petunia, and white lilly of the valley. Doss I peeked in or your pics of your garden in containers thread... WOW

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Vizz. It's fun to share. I did go snail bait and stake today. I'm glad that I did it early, it's pouring now. I hope that all this rain doesn't drown the Iris. I lost a new one, but it came in bad shape in the first place. I never thought of Petunias as having a lovely smell. I must be growing the wrong kind! Petunias can sort of suffer in our heat. Although with the newer cultivars, it might be better, but they probably don't have the same perfume.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.