Datura or Brugs

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Is it true that daturas do not live as long as the brugs do? I was reading a site that said they only live about 3-4 years. I like the fact that they are usually smaller but I don't want to put a lot of work into them if they only live for a short time.

JesseK

Hi Jesse,
D. stramonium, D. leichhardtii and D. metel can under favorable conditions become about two years old. After that the growing tips stunn and the plant start to wither from the tips and later the stronger branches. D. meteloides, D. wrightii and D. inoxia, which had a perennial rootstock can be older. I know of a man in Sorø (danish smalltown) that has growna specimen of D. wrightii for about 10 years, but I can not confirm that as I heard the story from the owner of Ringsted Garden Center some years ago). I had some that came back from the roots, that was covered in mulch standing outside through all winter (zone 7). I have no idea, exactly how old they can become, but 5-20 years is probably not overestimated :)

Brugmansia is believed to become more than 100 years old (based on a finding of a tree in South America, that was believed to be identical to a tree described 100 years, before it was discovered anew).

Tonny in Denmark

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

JesseK, Tonny is our datura expert around here. So he knows his stuff.

I see you mention about not wanting to put a lot of hard work into them if they are annuals. Well do not worry! I have both and dats are work free in my yard. I do not even have to plant them! They reseed so easily. They grew and took careo f themselves all summer and bloomed so fast on such small plants. I say grow both!

Brugs are alot of work, but dats do not even need to be watered that much. They are fast growers also. My only complaint is they grow too fast and sideways taking up lots of room in my small yard.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Excellent information

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.