Who has a Rion Greenhouse? Or didn't buy one because...?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It's here!!! It's here!!! Too bad I was not here for delivery and my hubby had to help the UPS guy. LOL A friend's brother is picking up my railroad ties tomorrow and dropping them off and cutting a couple for me. It's supposed to be fairly decent this weekend so if the girls cooperate, I am really hoping to get it up! Anyone want to come help with the kids??? :) I am trying not to get too far of myself so wish me luck and happy kids!

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

YeeHaa!!! Glad it arrived safe and ready to tackle. Best of luck getting it up and don't forget the pics.

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

OK...you have all done it to me......I want a greenhouse.

Questions to answer if you please.
1. How do you install? the wooden bases? Are they dug in or just lay upon the ground?

2. What do you have for the floor...dirt covered with ? or is there a solid/drain base on the floors of some kind?

3. What do you reccommend for the size of the wood for bases?

4. Is the green house bolted to the base? We can get some pretty strong winds here and I am concerned about the green house blowing down or having some damage. Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

BingsBel,
Question #4. My DH used the same kind of tie downs that are used for mobile homes. It is a metal strap that is bolted to the base of my GH near each corner, then attatched to a stake that has been pounded into the ground.
Question #2. The floor of my greenhouse is dirt with old carpet turned upside down as a covering. It will eventually have to be replaced, but works really well. The only problem I have with it is the moles seen to like to tunnel under there, and I am constantly having to stomp down the pushed up spots. :)
(Oops, I originally directed my answers to the wrong person! Sorry.)

This message was edited Feb 6, 2005 4:07 PM

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

BingsBell. My greenhouse, which is quite small, came with a base that is bolted together and then the ends are staked deep into the ground, and the greenhouse is bolted to the base. It is supposed to sustain winds up to 90 mph -but I am hesitant about that claim. On the floor I put some old roofing felt down and then put pea gravel on top. Seems to work quite well. I have tomatoes sprouting, strawberries getting healthy, and some flowers sprouting right now. I am so excited about that. This is all new to me. I use a small electric heater and a couple of heat mats, and things seem to be doing quite well. I also have put a couple of my tropicals in the GH, to keep the cats from destroying them -they seem to think they are beds!!!! UGH!

Cindy

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Chele,

I don't normally come to this forum, but I thought I would check it out in case you finally decided on which one to buy. What happened to the big Bio Dome you were looking at. lol

So, has Craig put this up yet? I'm dying to see it. Sure wish I had room in my postage stamp yard to put one also.

Pictures please!!!!

Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Donna! Glad to see you! You are in BIG trouble though! Craig put it up? Do you really think I would let him play with MY toys??? He isn't out there levelling the railroad ties either! I have to be honest and say he did help me get them around back. LOL He will also probably have to help me set the roof on but he will not be building it for me.

I do have the front ties in and one side and half the other side. Since I am not working today, Craig is taking the little two shopping with him and the others are in school. I am hoping to get the side and rear ties in today so I can start building.

I still love ya. :)

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

OOPS, sorry about that!! lol

Just thought he was going to do it, as you said above that he likes to build things for you.
I'm just like you though, I would be doing it myself with a little help from Jerry. "Yeah, you can hold this end for me Jerry, as I nail this part together or you hold the ladder and I will climb up to hang another pot or 2 from the ceiling." hehe

Now don't go straining yourself to much with those ties or you won't be able to go to work tomorrow.

I can't wait to see this. Are you taking pics during construction too?

Hugs, Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The roof is on!! I don't have too much left to do. I still have to snap in the lower roof panels (which you do after you put the roof on), snap in the panels on the walls and build the door. I really think someone without six kids could have this whole thing up in a couple of days. I have also been battling weather and a swampy back yard. As soon as it dries up some, I will be going for a bobcat then sod. I have to say the very worst part was levelling and putting in railroad ties. When your yard is not flat, you don't have a lot of choices. LOL

I have taken pics. I didn't take pics of every little step. I am afraid it was not all that exciting. :)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here are a couple of pictures of when we were putting my RION together.

Blessings,
Awanda

Thumbnail by ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Another one!

Blessings,
Awanda

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Awanda. That looks great. What size is that?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Cmalon it's an 8x8. I plan on buying another 8x8 and attaching it to this one, then I'll have an 8 x16.

Blessings,
Awanda

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Badseed, Nice to hear you have made so much progress on your GH, you will be growing in it before you know it.

We don't exactly have the best weather in our right now do we LOL. to break the stress of soggy ground just make mudpies while you work relieves tension and have a good time.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just want to know why Awanda gets three big burly men building??? LOL

I could probably get the rest of it done in an hour or so if the kids cooperate. It would be nice if the weather would coopeate too! Argh! I have to work at Target tomorrow and I am hoping to get out later in the afternoon or while hubby is home on Wednesday. I could always build the doors inside but putting in the panels is another story. :) I can't wait to actually get the rest of it so I can actually check out the heat it holds and start planting!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Do you have anything to add to this thread now that you have had your greenhouse for a while Michele?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.