January 22, 2005

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

We have again had some roller coaster weather. At least the last one day warm spell helped me thaw out a bit.

I had to help deliver baby goats last week. The first was born dead, it's head turned and couldn't be born, after feeling inside I realized there was a twin. It was a cold, cold day to come into this world. I am so happy for the wiring in the barn and the water system there. Two heat lamps warmed this baby up. I rubbed and rubbed to dry her off. the mother was pretty traumatized, and it took her about a day to get up and really take care of her baby. She is now an expert at hiding her tiny daughter from me in the barn and I try not to panic when I don't see her.

My first set of twin lambs were also born last week. Both boys. Their mother may the most protective ewe I have had. She is mostly Katahdin.

My bottle calf had scours last week. She is lots better after dosings of antibiotics. Otherwise she is playful and terrorizes the sheep in the barn.. She is an angus and her coat looks like a black bear.

It is incredibly windy today. We have only had a little squall of snow. When I was at the barn I could see a white sky coming in my direction. I hear the upper Midwest is having lots of snow with this wind. Making for dangerous conditions. I'm pretty tough and spend lots of time outside in the worst weather.., but I was sure glad to get inside to more hot coffee.

I sold two calves last week.. Cattle prices are high right now. Our cousin came and got his bull. We thought we would have trouble loading him. We took great pains to make sure we wouldn't have any trouble, but he walked right in the stock trailer. He wasn't quite as heavy as I thought he would be and didn't quite make 1800 pounds.

I just got a call I need to go into work. So off I go.

Kathyjo

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!